*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022987-Nostagia-and-the-repetition-of-narration-rhythm-rhyme
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1311011
A terminal for all blogs coming in or going out. A view into my life.
#1022987 added December 9, 2021 at 9:44pm
Restrictions: None
Nostagia and the repetition of narration, rhythm, rhyme.
“I like to compare the holiday season with the way a child listens to a favorite story. The pleasure is in the familiar way the story begins, the anticipation of familiar turns it takes, the familiar moments of suspense, and the familiar climax and ending.”—Fred Rogers.

"Blogging Circle of Friends prompt: Your thoughts? Does it really have to be the holidays for one to experience?

No. Any repetitive event: Friday fish fry, Monday morning coffee, visiting grandparents... every August... wherever they are.

Why do folks watch seasonal movies again and again. Growing up, I remember "Wizard of Oz" being an autumn movie even though it takes place in spring. When does "It's a Wonderful Life" show up.

Or play 'seasonal' music. Here, I'm more likely to hear Seals & Crofts "Summer Breeze" (1972) in anticipation of summer.

This applies to poetry as well. The repetitions of Edgar Allan Poe come to mind: The Bells 1849), Annabel Lee (1849), The Raven (1845).

Meditation and rituals use repetitive devices to either excite people or calm them down (like reciting the rosary or a long prayer).

We anticipate soothing sounds and comforting words. Like the sea, our childhood, and the nostagia of repetitive narration, rhythm, and rhyme.



Today's trinket brought to you by WakeUpAndLive️~scary 2024:



5,389

© Copyright 2021 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022987-Nostagia-and-the-repetition-of-narration-rhythm-rhyme