*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022906-Unto-each-generation
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1311011
A terminal for all blogs coming in or going out. A view into my life.
#1022906 added December 7, 2021 at 2:03am
Restrictions: None
Unto each generation...
Where were you when... JFK was assasinated? A question like that cannot be answered by Gen X. 'They' weren't born yet! Sure, they can read about it, but it was Sue Pierce's 11th birthday; we were in 6th grade. Bet she can even tell you what the day tasted like. But for someone living in another country it was merely November 22nd, 1963 or already the 23rd in Japan.

My sister was 2... so she can't remember either. Me? Vaguely. But Americans of my parent's generation remember quite well (the few still left). My grandmother was 71. I'm sure she knew. It was, as you say, a defining event (for more than one generation).

But an American my age also had the Beatles and Viet Nam and the Civil (Rights) War. Gen X did not. Neither did the Costa Ricans... but some may remember that JFK visited in March 1963 and that Volcán Irazú erupted while he was visiting.

Otherwise... why would they care? Do you know who was the president of CR that year? Francisco Orlich Bolmarcich... but don't feel bad, I don't remember ever hearing his name while living in Costa Rica. But I was in the national stadium for the inauguration of Daniel Oduber Quirós on May 8th, 1974. I took a picture (since lost). Were any of you there? Doubt it.

What defined my cohort is not universal, no matter how it may be marketed.

In response to "Meh. Whatever. about labeling 'generations' by The Waltz himself...

Today's trinket was created by Annette



5342

© Copyright 2021 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022906-Unto-each-generation