*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022775-Perspective-versus-meaning
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #1311011
A terminal for all blogs coming in or going out. A view into my life.
#1022775 added December 5, 2021 at 8:50pm
Restrictions: None
Perspective versus meaning
1. Stolen from s who answered a question about selfishness for the QotD. "Invalid Post"  

It's a relatively old game, dating back to before the 1950s. It's where the "I" statement is gentle and looks good, the "You" statement is the one most people use, and the "They" statement is almost abusive... but they all mean the same thing.

I am a gourmet.
You enjoy your food.
They eat like a pig.

My height is not a match for my girth.
You are big-boned.
They are grossly overweight.

That sort of thing. It is a game of perspective, showing how our words change when we talk about different people, though not our meaning.


I'll try even though these aren't quite right.

Globalism.

I travel to learn about people and places.
You travel to have fun in the sun.
They travel to exploit resources.

Traditional Laws.

I'm following the dictates of natural law.
You're doing what you were taught.
They're close minded.

Guns.

I need protection.
You're insecure and afraid.
They're a gang of terrorists.

2. My addition to the same prompt. Self-centered, self-absorbed. "Invalid Post"  

I'll go off on a tangent. Although never diagnosed as such, I suspect I'm on the autism spectrum. And I know many who are autistic to a great extent. I had a housemate once who was totally clueless of anything outside himself.

I don't always connect socially. I look inward for answers rather than merely trying to fit into a social landscape. Even though I travel and have to constantly pay attention, I am clueless at times.

I probably seem self-centered or at least self-absorbed.

I've needed to work on healthy boundaries all my life. Still not good at it. I need to take care of myself, but not to the extent of being oblivious to how I impact others. I have been generous with time and money in the past but needed to say no when I wasn't taking care of my own needs.

Some people are very very needy (in reality or in their heads) and I was accused of being selfish more than once when I was homeless years ago. Saying 'no' was contrary to the street culture of sharing.

What is and isn't to be shared (or tolerated) is also culturally based internationally. As I've said a gzillion times... I can be clueless.

Today's trinket comes from LeJenD'. I can be quite like a cat at times.



5325

© Copyright 2021 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1022775-Perspective-versus-meaning