*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329406-The-Woman-Who-Looked-Death-in-the-Eye
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2329406
Another post-apocalyptic fable with some dark fantasy thrown in. Somewhat philosophical.

Shine had only known smoke. Fifty generations hadn't existed when the Earth was whole. Due to her mutant ability to see better than most in the haze, she was selected by her tribe to discover the

Obelisk of Clarity. It was a structure capable of drowning out the gases with guiding rays of light. With it, a kingdom was said to be established. Shine set out to find it or die trying. Far beyond what anyone had traveled in many years, she came upon a bridge. It was old and flawed, but Shine was light as a feather. However, halfway over the bridge, Death appeared.

"Your death for all the riches in the world," he hissed through his clacking teeth. His bony hands held beauty, gold enough to tempt an emperor.

"No," said Shine, and walked ahead.

Shine continued through the fields of ashes before coming upon a wood. For a while, she walked in peace, until luminous red eyes appeared through the smoke. The monster approached, as did Death.

Between whacks of her sword, he tempted her again.

"Your death for the most beautiful lover in all the worlds."

"No," she said, finishing off the monster.

Finally, she saw the light that was undoubtedly the Obelisk of Clarity. She climbed the rocky shores, the tainted ocean burning her legs as it washed over them again and again. She climbed the winding stairs to the top chamber.

Death was there.

"Your death for your legend," he offered.

"Yes," said Shine.

She looked Death in the eye, not for the first time.



© Copyright 2024 Nathan Bloom (woodwose at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329406-The-Woman-Who-Looked-Death-in-the-Eye