*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329320-Fear-Itself
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Dark · #2329320
Carmen walked the night without fear. 300 words
Fear Itself


Carmen Fellows loved the night. She walked for hours no matter the season or weather. She was not naïve enough to forgo caution, but she’s never felt in danger at any time.

“To be truthful, my favorite walks are in October, especially Halloween night,” she told her friends.

This particular All Hallows Eve had a brilliant full moon, which Carmen reveled in. She walked for hours, admiring all the displays on people’s lawns. Before too long, she heard the different cadence of footsteps that seemed to be following her. After a few blocks she turned abruptly and whispered:

“You don’t scare me.”

From out of the shadows, a feminine voice hissed.

“I should frighten you, little girl. For I can put a spell on you, then you’ll be mine!”

Carmen laughed throatily.

“If you are so powerful, do your worst!”

“Ah, but that would be no fun, would it?”

“Then I’ll come to you.”

Carmen rushed toward the blackest of black in the shadow. She felt cold, knobby fingers grab her by the hair. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a saltshaker. With a liberal hand, she tossed and sprinkled its contents all over the area in front of her.

A scream tore the air, and the hands loosened. Hissed curses faded as the monster fled.

“My Granny Fellows was a wise woman. She told me never to leave home without salt at night. She always made sure I didn’t while she was alive.”

She patted her thigh.

“If that fails, I always have the stiletto she left me in her will. It even has our initials on the hilt, since I was her name's sake. I miss her! But I always remember the lessons she taught me. We gypsies can’t take chances outside the Rom world.”
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2329320-Fear-Itself