*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328943-Swamp-and-the-Lotus
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #2328943
Sometimes growth means letting go.
Blinded by boredom, I roamed through my thoughts. Then my thoughts turned to action. I glanced over my shoulder and discovered that I was in a swamp. Led by a swamp man. I sensed something within him. He was wounded. A pain you cannot see, or touch consumed him. How did I get here? I asked him. He turned to me and said, "I don't know; you simply just appeared before my eyes." Would you like a fire? he asked.

My vision was blurry, and I could not walk at a steady pace. He sat me down on a stump and continued, building a fire. When the flames began to flicker, that is when my vision became clearer. I was lost in a swamp and did not know if I could trust this swamp man. And how did I get here? I think he read my mind, or so I thought. His words were gentle and soothing as he spoke to me. He began to apologize that he lived in such a horrid place. I sensed his sadness all over again. So, I told him. The most beautiful lotuses grow in swamps. Without the muck and the mud, the lotus would not be able to get its nourishment and strength to grow and burst through the swamp's water. I have been drawn to this place for a reason. But I do not know as of yet what that reason is.

My words must have comforted him, for he smiled a small smile, and I could feel something warm residing somewhere in the depths of his heart. He turned to me and looked deeply into my eyes and said, "I don't understand what is happening, but I do know I was lonely of company; I don't know companionship, and there you were right before my eyes. It was like you magically appeared before my eyes. I can tell he was just as amazed and confused as I was.

I spent four days in the swamp with the swamp man. We talked, we laughed, we ate, and we drank together. And then it came back. His wounded being came to surface. I knew it was time to let go of this fantasy. I got up. I kissed him good-bye and said thank you, but it is time for me to go. I know now why I have come to this place. I needed the muck and the mud. It nourished me, and now I am ready to burst out and bloom. He smiled a small smile, and he let me go.
© Copyright 2024 PrincessThai (phzakrum at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328943-Swamp-and-the-Lotus