*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328822-Magic-Dust
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by brom21
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #2328822
Two elves encounter hostile creatures that are exposed to a fantastic substance.
Three blue suns loomed overhead as they cast a lurid, melancholy illumination on the four unicorns puling an enormous emerald carriage as a young sprite steered it from an elevated seat outside.

Within it were King Gaius and Queen Ifria from the elven kingdom of Evermore situated on a high plateau in the east. Set between the king and queen was a large vessel of something tremendously precious.

“This peace offering should solidify our peace with the dwarves,” said King Gaius.

“Indeed. But is it completely safe to travel through the wilderness full of goblins even with our magical advantage? I am sure you recall the death of ten of our royal sentries at the hands of those brutish creatures.”

“I think this amount of granulated magic ore should protect us.”

Queen Ifria shook her head. “What if they get their hands on some of the ore? Goblins endowed with magical power and extended life would be horrible!”

“Don’t worry, my dear. We will be leaving the wilderness and entering the dwarf kingdom of Wrethmire very soon.”

Queen Ifria sighed. “I suppose you’re right.”

Suddenly, the carriage was bashed by something, and the king and queen were jostled to the right. Then they heard the shriek of the coachman outside.

King Gaius opened the window curtain. “Goblins on serpent hounds!”

The two heard the cackling from the goblins.

Gaius opened the coach door and stretched his hand forward and a white fireball shot from his open palm as the fireball struck the ground and exploded, devouring three goblins.

A goblin pounced on the side of the carriage with its serpent hound and the vat of magical ore fell through the open door, shoving King Gaius outside as well.

The vat hit the ground and the top loosened and fell off as gold-like dust spilled onto the ground. One of the goblins halted its hound at the edge of the layer of magic ore. It sniffed at the glittering substance and suddenly the serpent hound sprouted two shiny, silver wings and green, glowing eyes.

The goblin dismounted and stooped down to scooped up the ore and it began to float. “Ah! Such power!” said the goblin. “I sense the power of fire and ice within me!”

The goblins gathered around the small pile of magic ore. A dozen goblins partook of the golden dust and their hounds sniffed the dust and grew wings as well.

“We now possess the power of the elves!” cried one.

“With such power we could devastate all the kingdoms!” said another.

Queen Ifria fell to her knees and sobbed. We can’t face all of them! What will we do!”

“My queen, come to me!”

Queen Ifria ran out of the carriage and clutched her husband as he raised a magical rod and a blue sphere surrounded them.

The goblins dispatched all kinds of magical attacks like fire and ice against the sphere but the two elves were unharmed.

“Forget these two retched souls! We have an entire realm to conquer! First, we attack the kingdom of the elves! Come, let us gather all the dust into sacks!”

The twelve goblins took to the air on their winged serpent hounds and flew east for Evermore with all the magic ore.

“Our kingdom is doomed!” said Ifria.

“No! This cannot be the end! Not like this!”

“What can be done?”

King Gaius looked down in thought. “There is only one thing I can think of. I have heard of a deity that the humans worship that is more powerful than magic.”

“Even if that is true, I think all humans live in the realm of Earth.”

“I have heard of a lone old human who lives in the wilderness. But how can we find him?”

An old man’s voice came from behind the two elves. “He is already here.”

They turned and saw a grey bearded man in a sackcloth robe and holding a staff. “I am Nerim. My God has sent me to deliver this realm to save you all. But you must swear fealty to Him first.”

“How does one do this?” asked Ifria.

“It takes a prayer and a willing heart. Will you do this?”

“Anything for my precious kingdom and all in the realm,” said Gaius.

“Bow your heads.”

The two elves did so and repeated a short prayer giving allegiance and worship to God.

Afar off, the airborne goblins were still visible in the distance.

The two elves and Arim were transported to Evermore in a flash of light.

Suddenly, a crack of lightning strobed in the clouds. Something like stars descended from above and soon the elves made out men in shining armor in chariots of fire. The shining men brandished flaming swords.

The goblins threw every magic attack they could at the warriors from heaven-ice spears and fireballs came from the heinous foes. For a time they managed to resist but soon the battle turned in favor of the heavenly beings. With much resistance the magical goblins were struck down.

The scores of shining warriors shouted in triumph then ascended back into heaven.

“We are saved!” said King Gaius.

“You have been delivered,” said Nerim. “Now you must walk in faith and righteousness.”

“We will, we will!” said Ifria.

Nerim smiled. “My time here is over. I must go to Earth now. Live as rulers of God and spread the word. Farewell to you both! God be praised!”

In another strobe of light, Nerim was gone.

“We still have our pledged gift to the dwarves,” said Ifria.

“I will again prepare more magic ore and share with them our faith.”

The king and queen prepared for another excursion to the dwarf kingdom of Wrethmire. They now knew a message that would transform the realm and perhaps unite all kingdoms.























© Copyright 2024 brom21 (ion_7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328822-Magic-Dust