*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328751-Guesses-And-The-First-Two-Dont-Count
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Activity · #2328751
Kerby and Molly save Halloween. 300 words
Guesses And The First Two Don't Count


“Oh no, not again!” Kerby exclaimed as he began to run.

“Do you know what that is?” asked Molly as she raced to catch up to him.

Kerby shuddered.

“It came two Halloweens ago...”

“It looks like a giant pumpkin shaped balloon!”

“Not a balloon! A spaceship!”

“It landed on houses, and when it lifted off, they were gone. Along with any people in or around them!”

“We have to stop it; I lost more than one good friend that year!”

Molly straightened.

“What do we do?”

“Grab as many Jacks as you can, I’ve got an idea!”

Borrowing a wagon from one of the yards they were passing, the pair began piling Jack-o-lanterns in it. When they could barely pull the wagon, they started toward the menacing, billowing pumpkin.

“I think this is as close as we dare get!” Kerby cautioned.

“Now what?” Molly asked.

“Start rolling them right at the base of that thing!”

When they did, the pumpkin balloon began to catch fire from all the lit pumpkins that hit it.

Soon it was aflame. Kerby and Molly watched as it rose in the air and went out of sight.

“We did it! We did it!”

The pair of trick or treaters began to dance with joy.

“But won’t it come back again?” asked Molly.

“We can watch for it and drive it away,” Kerby said.

“If we do it often enough, maybe it won’t come back!” they said together.

Even after they grew too old to trick or treat, Kerby and Molly went out every Halloween to watch for the eerie space pumpkin so they could go bowling with Jacks, set it afire and drive it away quickly. As they had hoped, the space pumpkin eventually never returned.
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2328751-Guesses-And-The-First-Two-Dont-Count