*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327998-Life-With-Susan
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2327998
Flash Fiction
Life with Susan

Anthony stood looking in the ring case. Henry, had been watching him for a while. Obviously, the guy was looking for an engagement ring, and apparently having trouble.

Henry was remembering being in that situation himself many years ago. He walked up, “Looking for a ring?” he commented.

“Maybe you can help?” the man said, picking up a lovely ring, “How much does it cost?”

“I’m sorry, I don’t work here.”

“Oh, gosh! I’m sorry!” Anthony said quickly. “I just thought…”

“I know, I just came over because you reminded me of when I was looking for an engagement ring for my wife, many years ago.”

“Oh, congratulations! How many years?”

“Thirty-eight, tomorrow,” Henry said, laughing.

The young man laughed. “Sounds like it’s worked out for you.”

“That it did. I can give you some advice if you don’t mind. I had some help myself, back in the day…”

The guy looked at him an extra second, and then he said, “Yes, that would be nice. You seem to have made a wise choice.”

“I know you probably have a budget line; I did at your age. So, the first thing is to ask the clerk to show you the rings in your price range. That way you won’t need to say no to something you know she’ll love but you can’t afford. Or, put yourself in debt and spoil the gift in your own mind. You can give her more jewelry in the future, but this ring will be the most important piece she owns, to you both. Make sure it makes you both happy.”

Anthony always remembered this moment. Every year when their anniversary came around it popped back in mind. Every year for the many, many long and happy years of his life with Susan.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327998-Life-With-Susan