*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327824-Deja-Vue-All-Over-Again
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Animal · #2327824
Aggie and Gena discuss the end of the month. 300 words
Deja Vue All Over Again


Aggie and Gena were prancing along the fence’s base, impatiently waiting their turn. One had green eyes, the other brilliant blue. They were impatient to perform in the Midnight Cats’ Chorus. The winner got half a can of sardines and all the slippers that were thrown at them.

“Imagine Gena! It’s happening again!” Aggie said as she held her tail even higher and more erect than ever.

Gena, being a little bit of an airhead, said:” What’s that?”

Aggie clicked her teeth with brief annoyance.

“Something that comes at the end of this month every year.”

Gena preened her ears fastidiously.

“What are you talking about this time? Black Cat Appreciation Day? Handsomest Black Cat of the Year? What?”

Aggie whispered in one of her velvety ears. She suddenly shrieked.

“I hate that day! People keep trying to catch us! Witches swoop down with talons outstretched; Ghosts try to nab us with ice-cold arms. As for those children...Gena shivered and the hair on her back stood on end.

Aggie wet a paw and tried to smooth down Gena’s hair.

“Don’t you see... it’s a time we get to scare too! We slink about in the shadows and pounce from great heights. We hiss and we wail with all of our might.”

“I never thought of that! It is kinda fun, you’re right!”

Aggie nodded and turned to the fence.

“Are you ready?"

The pair of black cats leapt onto the fence. All legs and tail, they began a sinuous dance and raised their voices in a cacophony of sound that woke most of the sleeping; some said even the dead! But that was usually left for the spooky night at the end of October. Of course, if Aggie had had anything to say about it...?”
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327824-Deja-Vue-All-Over-Again