*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327639-Sunday-Morning
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2327639
Flash Fiction
Sunday Morning

“What happened here!” Mom said, standing in the doorway looking around the kitchen. She’d only been down cellar about ten minutes, doing laundry. The kitchen looked like a tornado just hit.

Tessa and Jeff stood as still as if they were frozen. Tessa holding a cup in her hand, dripping something liquid onto the floor. Jeff, had a hand full of utensils in his left hand, and several more on the floor, with the flour container, because he turned too quickly hearing Mom’s voice.

The floor was covered with utensils, and looked as if it had snowed. The flour container rolled away after Jeff dropped it, hearing Mom coming up the steps, and now it was empty.

The six-, and eight-year-olds, looked around the kitchen as if it was going to help them. Just the fact that they had to turn and look at what she was referring to almost made Mom laugh. But she caught herself quickly, making sure the stern look was still on her face before they looked back.

“Well?” she asked again, “What happened here?”

Both kids started talking at once, a mile a minute! Apparently, a surprise! Things didn’t go well; they couldn’t find jelly… there was even mention of Dad telling them how big they were getting. The word ‘surprise’ came up several times. Jeff started looking as if he was going to cry.

“Hold on!” Mom said, stopping them both mid-sentence. They looked like deer in the headlights.

Mom slowly walked around the kitchen, making sure to walk by the counter that had her video camera on it, and flipping on the switch, sneakily, as she walked by.

Keeping a straight face she turned to her children. “Explain it to me one more time,” she said, with that completely straight face.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327639-Sunday-Morning