*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327599-Tin-Beginnings
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2327599
Flash Fiction
Tin Beginnings

“Listen,” Janice said, shushing Sandy mid-sentence.

“To what?” Sandy asked, quietly.

“The car’s making a noise.”

“Like what? Are we safe??!”

“I think so, it’s just a little noise…”

They both stopped talking, listening harder as they rode on down the street.

“There! That one!” Janice spoke, as a small screechy, crinchy noise softly passed through the car.

“That’s weird,” Sandy said, “I’ve never heard that before.”

“Me neither and I drive this car every day.”

“What do you think it is?”

“I don’t know, but I need this car to last! I can’t afford to get a new car. I better take it in and find out.”

“Let’s bring it to my house first! My cousin Bob is really into cars, he might be able to tell you what it is. If worst comes to worse, at least you’d know what you have to do, and how much it will cost.”

“Great idea! Why don’t I know you have a cousin? And why is your cousin at your house?”

“They live in Wrentham. His parents are on a trip; he usually stays with his other grandmother but she’s away this week. Lucky us!”

Bob was available and took the car for a short ride. Then when he got back, he climbed under it, and pulled out a rusty tin can! “It was stuck!” he said smiling.

As a reward the two girls talked him into going for ice cream. That was the day Sandy and Bob met. As the girls finished high school, and Bob started at the nearby college, he and Sandy started seeing one another.

They married six years later. For their wedding present, Janice gave them a beautifully wrapped, dented, rusty tin can. It was the best story told for years, by everyone at the wedding.

© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327599-Tin-Beginnings