*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327462-A-Wannabe-Fashionista
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Drama · #2327462
This kid wanted to show off her pretty dress
Dear Children,
If your 9th birthday falls on the 9th day of the 9th month in the year 2009, be careful what you wish for. For those who have birthdays thus are selected specially by the fairies to have their wishes, uttered at 9 A.M, come true.

Now I must give you a bit of background about Michelle and her aunt Elycia. Aunt Elycia lived far away and they didn't meet very often, but she always remembered to send her beloved niece a birthday gift. And when that gift happened to be something to wear, like a blouse or dress, she always erred on the side of buying a bigger size, so that Michelle could grow into it. That was better than her having already outgrown it.

So when Michelle opened the pretty package to find a lovely green dress which was too big for her, she uttered her wish. "I wish I'd grow."

Now had she said more - like "I wish I'd grow till this could fit me" or "I wish I'd grow three inches taller" all might still have been well. But she only said she wished she'd grow.

The young fairy who heard her granted her wish.

Five minutes later, Michelle's Mom said to Michelle's Dad, "Dear, don't you think Michelle has grown?"

"Maybe," he replied. He had learnt to wait for the reason for the question before committing himself.

"She can almost get into that dress already. Michelle, go try it on. We'll send your aunt a photo."

Michelle went to her room to try on the dress. "MOM!" she yelled frantically. "Mom! It's too small! I'm still growing!"

Her mother hurried into the room. Sure enough, there was Michelle, halfway to the ceiling and progressing fast.

"Dear, dear!" Mom gasped.

Her husband came in. "Must be all that protein mix you give her," he remarked.

"Protein mix, my foot. What's happening?"

Michelle was now bending over so that she didn't hit her head on the ceiling. Her arms and legs were so long that they got all knotted up.

"Call someone!" Mom shrieked.

"Who?" her husband queried. Long experience had taught him not to make decisions when instructions were vague.

"Call the doctor, and her teacher, and grandma!"

"Which grandma, your mother or mine?"

"Either one. Quick!"

Soon, the doctor, the teacher and both grandmas were in the garden. There was no room for Michelle in the house now. She crouched there, all knotted up.

It was a good thing Michelle's Dad had taken the precaution of calling both grandmas.

You see, both of them were born on the 10th day of the 10th month, and if they spoke in unison, the wish could be unwished.

They didn't know this, but they did what came naturally.

"I wish she'd stop growing," both said, together.

Michelle stopped growing.

"I wish she'd get back to her right size," they chorused.

Michelle was soon back to her usual self.

"Now I'll have to wait months to wear this pretty dress!" she sobbed.



PROMPT:
© Copyright 2024 THANKFUL SONALI in Octo-BOO (mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327462-A-Wannabe-Fashionista