*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327430-How-it-Works
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2327430
Flash Fiction
How it works

“I can’t knit, I don’t have any yarn.” Actually, I have no desire to ever knit again, but my sister knows I know how, she’s pressuring me to “help” with her project. She is my older sister, she knows all about me, and my excuses.

“I have yarn,” she says, nonchalantly, looking me straight in the eyes, “I know you have needles. You just have to make a few. I have six people making mittens, I need at least thirty pairs.”

Nailed again. My sister has known how to nail me since I learned to crawl. I don’t know how to say no to her. Well, I know how, it just never works…

“Do you want a peanut butter sandwich?” she asks, she knows me so well.

“Yes, with jelly please.” She actually knows, I’ve eaten PB and J’s since I was old enough to eat a sandwich. She is just technically saying, “Thank you,” without using the words.

“Milk or soda…?” she asks.

“Whatever’s handy…” I say, which is my way of saying, ‘Fine, I accept the work.’ Because, frankly I was planning to never ever knit again in my entire lifetime. Unfortunately, I find it almost impossible to say no to Nancy, especially in a situation like this.

Somehow, I don’t have this power over our next younger sister, Janet. She finds it easy peasy to say no to me. But then she can also say no to Nancy… Maybe stubbornness actually skipped me, and Bobbie got double? Well, then there’s our “baby” sister… six years younger than me, Woah! She finds it easy to say no even to our parents!

I don’t understand at all, all I know is I am stuck knitting mittens all weekend. I should have moved to California while I had the chance.
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327430-How-it-Works