*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327304-Theres-your-Duh
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2327304
Flash Fiction
There’s your ‘Duh’

“The sky was clear, and the leaves falling from the trees everywhere in the cool morning breeze.”

“That’s your first sentence?” John asked.

“Yeah! Look I got all three prompts in, in the very first sentence!”

“Huh. So, what’s the rest of the story gonna be. Three hundred words, right?

“Yes…no, actually we can only write ‘up to’ three hundred, we can also write less. I didn’t actually think of a story yet, I was just thinking of how to fit the prompt words in.”

“No story… that’s a weird way to write a story.”

“Well, this is different. You have to write a story using the prompt, so getting the prompt in is the first thought. I just got all the prompt words in the first sentence! That doesn’t happen very often.”

“So why write anything else, you’re done! One sentence, maybe that’s a record!”

“Number one, it’s not a ‘story’ it’s just a sentence. And number two, as opposed to you, I actually like to write.”

“Well, if you like to write so much, why did you put all the prompt words in the first sentence?”

“I didn’t do it to make the story shorter! I just started thinking about the words and that sentence came to mind.”

“Well… think about the sentence this time and maybe the rest of the story will pop into your crazy head.”

“Crazy?”

“Anybody who likes to write has to be a little crazy.”

“What?”

Come on, it’s writing? It’s like doing homework you don’t have to do! You could be outside instead, doing something fun!

“Writing stories is fun.”

“Duh…”

“You like books about pirates, and about policemen, right?”

“Well, yeah.”

“Somebody writes those books, because they like to write…”

“Huh, I never thought of that…”

“There’s your ‘Duh’…”
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327304-Theres-your-Duh