*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323261-The-Centaur
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #2323261
A Girl has a Dream about herself as a Centaur.
The following story is based on a dream I had while in high school, but also in a way inspired by the works of Phillip K Dick and basically any other stories that make you question Reality.
Enjoy.



It was another slow late afternoon in Ms Reid’s English Literature class that seemed to go on forever, as I sat at my desk, my face resting slightly on the palm of my hand as I struggled to stay awake, a quick glance to the faces on the clock seemed to point between one to three and apparently stop moving entirely, the room was quiet as Ms Reid’s continued to educate us about the History of Early Mythology Literature, some students seemed to be listening others (And no shame in admitting I was one of them) had trouble even paying attention to what she was talking about on the board.

Luckily sitting up near the back of the classroom it’s hard to notice if the students are even paying attention to you, as I continued internally counting down the time until 3PM I looked out the window again seeing the blue sky and green fields of grass that seemed to go on forever, oh how I wanted to be out there right now instead of stuck in this room dying of boredom.
Glancing out at the window I suddenly had the strangest urge to get up and go closer to it, a second later I was quite surprised as my body seemed to already be obeying that command as if on instinct as I stood up from my desk and proceeded to walk straight to the glass, I was a little surprised to not hear something like

“Haley please return to your seat at once”

from the teacher nor did anyone else seem to notice me getting up and approaching the window nor did I turn my head to see if anyone noticed I had sat up.

reaching the window, I could see more clearer outside then a strange thing happened next thing I know I am standing outside on the grass.
I turn my head around to look back into the classroom everyone’s attention is still focused on the front of the classroom, no one seems to have even noticed my absence.
Suddenly I have this urge to start running and a second later my body obeys the command before my mind could even think on it, I run fast, as fast as I can, as fast as my legs will carry me, I’m not exactly an athletic kind of girl but sports isn’t a weakness for me as I continue to run at a steady pace as I leave the school behind in the distance.

I don’t know where I’m running to or why but it just feels so free to run, I stretch my arms out in happiness as I continue running across this green patch field as I see woods and forests and mountains all around me.

That’s when a very strange thing begins to happen to me which I could only describe as a sudden feeling of Tightness and frustration in my legs and rest of my body as in a blink of an eye my lower half suddenly transforms.

A light brown horse body forms below me as the sudden growth rips away my skirt and underwear, my hooves destroying my shoes and socks, all the while I keep running, dare I say I gallop now as it suddenly dawns on me.

I was a Centaur.

My face goes red with embarrassment as I want to scream in fright at what’s just happened to me but its like my mind and body are not talking to each other as I keep galloping faster despite the fact that I am now practically naked from the waist down now.

Being a two-legged animal by nature I don’t think any words could describe the feeling of suddenly running on four legs, but to me it just felt no different than before, I moved as if I had always been a centaur, and I moved much faster as I galloped on all four legs now across a wide-open grassy plain that seemed to have no end in sight.
Another strange occurrence seemed to happen again as the faster I moved my shirt seemed to be coming loose as the buttons popped off one by one , till finally it flew off in the wind as I left it far behind.

All I wore now was my bra which luckily still stayed on, alas though I could feel some hands, my hands move on their own as if under their own power as they or rather I reached back and undid the strap before slipping it off and letting it to fly away in the wind as I continued to gallop fast across the plains, now a completely naked centaur.
Instinctively and embarrassingly, I covered my breasts with my arm as my lower horse body continued to gallop it felt like my body had a mind of its own and yet at the same time it also felt like everything that happened it did because I think on a subconscious level, I wanted it to happen.

I sighed then resigned myself to my fate as I removed my arm baring all for the world to see, thank God at least there was no one around.

I decide then and there to fully embrace it as I finally seemed to stop under my own command glancing quickly at my new body, I undo my scrunchie and let my blonde hair unfurl from its pony tail as I take off again at quick lightning speed with a smile on my face as the sun shines above me.

Galloping faster again I outstretch my arms in excitement, I can’t help but feel so free as I move faster than I have ever gone before than if I were human.

after what feels like I’ve been running forever I finally begin to tire out and slow down a bit, my mouth feels dry as I begin to feel a little thirsty.

in the distance I can see what looks like a small lake as I move closer to it.
Arriving at water’s edge the water looks so cool and refreshing its then a puzzle occurs to me as I wonder how do I drink like this?, bending one knee I slowly bend down and using my hands as a cup I enjoy a nice drink of cold water, I do this several times before I get a good idea to instead walk into the water luckily its not too deep in the centre as I move in till it comes up to my waist, now I can drink easier as I take several sips with my hands, before dousing some over my head, the water feels so nice and cool,

its then I notice in the distance on the other side of the lake another Centaur, black horse body young looking like me, dark hair and Caucasian Male he looks familiar but from where I wonder?, bending down on one knee having a drink as well when he puts his head up and sees me, then he too walks into the water coming closer to me, getting a good look at his face I recognise him now, to my very surprise it’s Tristan a boy in my class,

Just as he opens his mouth as if to say something to me, I hear the loudest screeching noise like its actually coming from inside my own ear drums as I instinctively plug them with my fingers before everything seems to go black fast. But the noise still remains as it gets louder and louder but also clearer.

“Haley, Haley, Haley, HALEY!!!!!!”

Says Ms Reid as the noise of the loud thud of her banging her hand on my desk suddenly awakens me back to reality as I sit my head up, a piece of paper stuck to the side of my face.
The eyes of the whole class are on me.


in a quieter more slightly frustrated but understanding tone she speaks

“Sorry if my class is boring to you but do, please try to stay awake, class will be finished in fifteen minutes then you can sleep all weekend.

“Yes miss” I reply nodding still groggy as I get my bearings together.
It was all just a dream I sigh internally to myself, as Ms Reid makes her way back to the front of the class to continue her work, as I slowly recall what I was dreaming about, who I was dreaming about, I eye Tristan sitting near the front of the classroom, for the rest of the lesson I could not help but notice that sometimes he would glance at me real quick in the blink of an eye, even when the bell rang and we all got up to leave the room I noticed that he seemed to be staring at me a few times.

“It was all just a dream” I tell myself though maybe I am not that entirely convinced myself.

The End
© Copyright 2024 Lee Mission (mrwhitea1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323261-The-Centaur