*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2196795-Bus-To-Nowhere-A-Short-Story-Part-1
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Writing · #2196795
On her way to camp, Julia’s bus stops. Let me know if I should continue!
“And now for the morning weather. It will be yet another sweltering day, with a high of 95 and a low of 80. It should cool down by the evening, though, and there may be some light showers. In other news...”
“Great, just what I need-another day where I’m close to melting. Oh, universe, you truly have my best interests in mind.” Julia thought to herself sarcastically. And, well, she wasn’t wrong. When you go to a summer camp that is all outside, a hot day is the enemy of the people. Or you, at least.
The bus rumbled to the stop, its motor chugging and churning and gurgling. Honestly, it sounded like the poor thing was about to fall apart, both in a literal sense, and in tears.
“Bye, Mom,” Julia called out quickly as she ran from the car to the bus. Her mom waved and blew her a kiss, but Julia didn’t even see her.
Scanning the bus, she eventually found her BFF, Chantelle. She sat down next to her and the bus took off towards the camp.
“Ok, so last night, Ethan texted me! He said he wanted to hang out at that really good ice cream place near the school! I’m so excited!” Chantelle exclaimed excitedly.
Julia’s face lit up. She knew how important this was for her friend. She had had a crush on Ethan since kindergarten.
“Omg, that’s incredible! When did he say you could meet?” Julia asked.
“Tonight! He said he MIGHT bring his little sister-here’s hoping he won’t!” Chantelle crossed her fingers on both of her hands, and Julia did the same.
“Ok, so you need to wear something nice!”
“Nice as in ‘cute nice’, or nice as in ‘sexy nice’?”
“Both! I’m sure I can find something that’s both cute and sexy!”
“Great! You’re the best, Julia.”
No, YOU are, silly!” The two friends laughed.
Suddenly, the bus stopped. And I don’t mean it stopped at a light-it stopped in the middle of a highway. Julia and Chantelle gave each other looks of confusion and concern.
The bus driver stood up. Over the announcer, she said in a thick New Jersey accent, “Ok, listen up, everyone. Engine decided to stop, so we’re stuck ‘till the tow truck gets here. I don’t want any of you freaking out, ‘kay?
“What the hell?” Chantelle muttered to Julia. “Why’d the engine stop?”
“Don’t ask me! I don’t know a damn about buses!” Julia replied. So all she could do was sit and wait.
© Copyright 2019 Gabbi Pie’ (gabbi8210 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2196795-Bus-To-Nowhere-A-Short-Story-Part-1