*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2152218-Train-Wreck-is-how-I-am-editing-it
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Drama · #2152218
This is the original - words i heard from the radio: "She had been waiting"
500 word sketch formed on a phrase heard on the radio : she had been waiting:

She had been waiting for the noise to stop for what felt like a lifetime, it was nothing like she dreamt it could be. The harsh cruel words cut through her like a hot knife in butter. This man in front of her¬¬ was demanding he be treated immediately. He was an important businessman! He had come from 1st class & wanted something for a small cut on his finger, Rosa looked at him, then at the pile of limbs not all together in a pile to her back. The 1st class man was still almost whimpering, Rosa could see how he had changed from a pompous prick to a child with a small cut on a finger. She could see bone sticking out of a leg behind her. “Why don’t you go carefully through the carriages & ask if there are anymore doctors or nurses aboard? You aren’t really hurt it’s shock, which will wear off in time”. He nodded like a child & went off asking “are there any doctors or nurses here”.

There was no way to get a grip on the insane situation. The train was on it’s side.. But Rosa could see people with REAL injuries ones that needed her attention. She grabbed her bag, it was her full med-kit, just not enough for a train load. She could smell blood, the smell of someone who had been sick, along with an odour what could only be fear.

Why had she decided to pick THIS train at this time. Packed with commuters on a Friday? Because she hated to live in the city. She loved her life when at work, but the second she left the hospital the city crowded in on her making her feel claustrophobic. Moving to the Cotswolds had been the right thing to do, but she wanted not just the part time life in the countryside but a full time one.

Snapping out of her reverie she moved towards the mess of people who looked as if a dumper truck had just unloaded them. She started at the edge of the pile of bodies, making sure she had access to the whole person. Gently she opened her bag, & pushed out the cardboard cover on a new box of latex gloves, she would need all of these, and started to talk to the person with a very bad cut on their head. Oh for the portable CT screener she had been trying to get the hospital to help fund the project for a situation just like this. “Hello, I’m Dr Sonderer, or Rosa if you prefer”, how are you feeling?” the longest hours were about to start, she knew it would take hours to get a rescue team out here, then even longer to open the train up to start moving people out, what an end to her 50th birthday! It certainly wouldn’t be one she would forget in a hurry. Thank goodness she didn’t drink, she examined the head wound, cleaned it, put 4 steristrips over it & a small dressing pad. She also put a yellow sticker on the dressing, so when help did arrive, she had already started to triage. Surely there must be more doctors & nurses on this train? She moved the head wound lady to one side of the train & moved onto the man with a very broken leg.
© Copyright 2018 R. Sonderer (r.sonderer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2152218-Train-Wreck-is-how-I-am-editing-it