*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2113685-Red-Rain-First-Page-Sample
Rated: GC · Fiction · Psychology · #2113685
Red Rain is a psychological thriller that takes place in a world of dreams and nightmares
         A red mist dawned in the evening light, something had given it an off tinge as if it were an omen to a horror far worse than what was being portrayed within the woods that I walked through. The trees around me were tall and of all sorts. Pine, maple, oak, were the most prominent with a variety of color between all of them. Orange, red, yellow, green, purple, even blue. Green had been my most admired color, it reminded me of life and how great it was. Leaves were falling everywhere, passing me as I sauntered by. It was magical. The wind blew lightly, rustling the leaves within the low grass, acorns fell from the trees and for a moment I thought tonight would be different... Sure enough it was.
         The wind became more violent and the already dimmed sky darkened. It had brought upon an unwelcome chill to the air. The mist became heavier; purity of light as if you were to wake up in the morning and feel the warmth upon your skin, the natural healing of light, became nonexistent. The red haze had become more prominent and powerful, like staring into a fire, knowing what damage it would wreak if it had become uncontrollable. That fear of what it is, how omnipotent it is, that is what had kept me alive for so long. There may have been three, maybe four miles left of my journey, and night was only an hour away. It might not seem that detrimental if you had only the clothes on your back and a cell phone in your pocket, but when you have a backpack full of gear for the end of days and limited visibility, time would determine your fate. I had learned that the hard way and time was not of the essence. I still had miles to go before I reached the location I needed to be in and nightfall was coming swiftly.
         The night had a nickname, many had called it Dead Time and it was a well-deserved name. As the sun rises every morning, it must also fall at some point and at some time. It bestowed itself in a different manner than it did in the days before the great collapse. The sun looked different as dusk approached. You could look into the eye of light without losing your sight. Blood, the color in which lives inside of all had warped the purity and healing color it had upon the earth. It had been corrupted just like it something had done the here on earth. Despite the opaque smog, you would still be able to see it. No matter the season during dead time, everything would still change, at the same time, every day. The grass turned into embers, slowly becoming ash with each passing second.

© Copyright 2017 Martin Westgate (martinwestgate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2113685-Red-Rain-First-Page-Sample