*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044677-A-Misfortune-of-Life
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #2044677
My version of a common story.
There was once a boy named Kim Ji-Yong. Kim Ji-Yong was an ordinary high school student. He attended every class except English, brought lunch to school, and had his own circle of friends. In anyone's eyes, he was an ordinary teenager, but in reality, he was anything but that. Or maybe he was and an unordinary thing just happened to him. To be honest, you can take him, his personality, and his life anyway you want. It won't really matter to him or me.
"Hey! I know your secret, you know.", Adrian said as he tossed the ball to Ji-Yong. "And what might my secret be?", Ji-Yong asked as he caught the ball and tossed it to Adrian. "Perhaps the name Anda will ring a bell.", Adrian said as he caught the ball and tossed it back to Ji-Yong. Nam Anda was the name of Ji-Yong's crush since 1st grade. Ji-Yong caught the ball and swiftly hurled it towards Adrian's head. "If you don't confess to her, I'll do it for you.", Adrian said as he caught the fast ball and returned it with equal strength.
This time, Ji-Yong was not able to catch the ball and it flew past him. Adrian sat down on the grass, opened a beer, and watched the river as Ji-Yong went to get the ball. Ji-Yong jogged toward the area the ball had flew to. It was close to the concrete slab that had an ordinary park bench sitting there. When Ji-Yong grabbed the ball, he felt a surge of electricity. He stared at the ball for awhile wondering what that was. He was awoken from his daze by Adrian's voice. "Hey, what's wrong? Why aren't you bringing the ball back?", he asked. Ji-Yong decided to ignore the feeling. He looked at Adrian and confirmed that everything was okay.
Adrian glanced at the town clock and then returned his baseball glove to Ji-Yong. "I have to meet Jungkook somewhere so I gotta go.", he said with a smile. "Oh, Okay.", Ji-Yong said with a smirk. Adrian replied by smiling an apologetic smile. "That's okay. I have to meet my father, anyways.", Ji-Yong said knowing that Adrian would feel bad about leaving a friend. Adrian smiled and then smirked. "Hey~, Ji-Yong Hyung~.", Adrian said batting his eyes, "Since where I'm headed is in the same direction as your house, can you let me ride with you?"
"Sorry, Adrian. I am going to the mall to meet my father. Since it's my mother's birthday tomorrow, we are picking a present.", Ji-Yong said apologetically. "Naw, don't sweat it! I'll just ride my bike over there.", Adrian said with a wide grin. "K.O.!", Ji-Yong said. They both said Goodbye to each other and went their separate ways, not knowing what awaited them both.
It was about 8 o'clock when Ji-Yong finally got home from picking his mother's birthday present, barely two-hours had passed since he left Adrian. He and his father finally decided on a china set with a Japanese design, a kimono, a hanbok, and a new hairpin. The first thing Ji-Yong did was take a bath. After taking a bath, he checked his phone. He had 30 missed calls from Jungkook. He called him.
" Yo, Jungkook, what's up? Did you-" Ji-Yong stopped mid-sentence because he heard something unordinary. He heard Jungkook crying. "What's wrong, Jungkook? What happened? Tell me.", Ji-Yong said empathetically. "Ji-Yong, he's dead.", Jungkook finally said between sobs. Ji-Yong instantly knew who he was talking about.
There were only three people in the whole world you can say Lee Jungkook cares about: His mother, Kim Ji-Yong, and Jeon Adrian . Only two of those of those people are males and one of the two was on the phone with him at that moment. Ji-yong knew who it was, but had a glimmer of hope in his heart. "Jungkook", he said, his voice shaking with fear of the answer to the question he was about to ask, " Who died?" "Who else would I cry for?", Jungkook asked," Jeon Adrian!"
With this, the tears that Ji-Yong was holding in escaped and rushed pass his defenses. Everything seemed to crumble before him. He remembered that the person he was on the phone with was probably feeling what he was feeling, but amplified. He comforted him and himself at the same time. When the tears on both ends finally stopped, Ji-Yong asked how Adrian died. "He was hit by a drunk driver on his bicycle.", Jungkook whispered. The shock of the news hit Ji-Yong in the gut. It was my fault. I could have saved him. He could have lived. ,was what constantly went through his mind after he had finished talking to Jungkook. That night, after being strong for years, Ji-Yong and Jungkook both cried themselves to sleep, but for Ji-Yong the pain wasn't over yet.
The next day, Ji-Yong went back to the river bank, the last place he saw Adrian alive and also the place where Adrian's fate was decided by a few of his careless words. He sat on the bench and started crying. The guilt was eating away at him. He hadn't eaten anything and he had nightmares all night. He had rejected all of Jungkook's calls because he could not face him. He could not tell his now only best friend that he was the reason their other best friend had died.
Just as he had finally stopped crying, a baseball rolled into his leg. It looked exactly like the ball he and Adrian were playing with the day before. He looked around but couldn't see any possible source of the ball. He picked up the ball and remembered the jolt of electricity that he felt the day before. The thought was pushed aside by his hope of getting just one more chance to make things right and to be able to get the three together one more time.
He was awoken from his daze by Adrian's voice. "Hey, what's wrong? Why aren't you bringing the ball back?", he asked. Adrian? You're dead. How are you here?, Ji-Yong thought. Ji-Yong continued to stare for awhile before assuring Adrian that he was okay.
Adrian glanced at the town clock and then returned his baseball glove to Ji-Yong. "I have to meet Jungkook somewhere so I gotta go.", he said with a smile. It's really you! he thought. "Oh, Okay.", Ji-Yong said still shocked. Adrian replied by smiling an apologetic smile. "T-t-that's okay. I h-have to meet my father, a-anyways.", Ji-Yong stuttered trying to sound normal. Adrian looked at Ji-Yong for awhile as if analyzing a new species, but then suddenly smirked. "Hey~, Ji-Yong Hyung~.", Adrian said batting his eyes, "Since where I'm headed is in the same direction as your house, can you let me ride with you?" This is my chance, thought Ji-Yong. "Of course!", he responded a little to quickly. Adrian looked at him for awhile before thanking him and getting in the car.
When they got to their destination, Ji-Yong got out of the car along with Adrian and they both walked up to Jungkook.
I never explained why these three were so close to each other, right? Forgive me, but I am not inclined to tell you the story. Why? Simply because it is story for another time. But please do take comfort in the fact that I will describe their looks.
Jungkook was the type to wear leather jackets and jeans. He had bleach blonde hair that was usually in the same style as Rap Monster's in his "Do You" MV, and he had nose, ear, and lip piercings.
Adrian had blood red highlights in his jet-black hair. His hair reached the middle of his back when let down completely, but Adrian usually kept his hair braided with a bang. He would usually wear hoodies, long pants, and sneakers.
Ji-Yong's hair was hazelnut brown and about shoulder-length. He usually let his hair be free. Ji-Yong was always in over-decent clothes and used to wear glasses before he got his contacts.
Jungkook was a child of a single parent, Adrian had foster parents that really didn't care about him, and Ji-Yong was a chaebol. How these three very different people got together is a long story, but, as I mentioned before, is a story for another time.
"How come you two chose to meet here of all places?", Ji-Yong asked, glancing at the corner store that stood before him and his friends. "Ask him. He chose this place.", Jungkook said indifferently. "No reason, really. It was the halfway point of Jungkook's house and the riverbank so it seemed like a good idea.", Adrian said and shrugged. "Adrian's staying at my house tonight, do you want to come over?", Jungkook asked.
Ji-Yong's first instinct was to say yes because he remembered how it felt to know that he would never be able to see Adrian again, but then he remembered he had to meet his father. Ji-Yong declined and then went to the mall.
The gift picking went a lot quicker this time and Ji-Yong got home around the same time as the first time he tried it. After taking a shower, Ji-Yong went to sleep.
The next morning, Ji-Yong woke-up at 5am on the dot. He had nightmares all night and couldn't really sleep at all during the night. Ji-Yong did his usual morning routine and fixed a pot of coffee. He chose his favorite mug, one with a picture of the anime "Soul Eater". Then, he opened he news paper. His pupils dilated with shock. He dropped his mug and the steaming liquid covered his clothes. He didn't feel a thing. He wouldn't, no, he couldn't. He stared at the article that was on the front page.
"A Robbery Results in the Death of Two Teenage Boys"
On yesterday's night, there was a robbery at a corner store that was the half-way point between the riverbank and the household of one of the victims. The robber, Choi Raymon, decided to rob this store because he could not get money from his friends and family to play video games at the arcade. Regretfully, two brave teenage boys were murdered for a mere 10,000 won (approximately 9 U.S. dollars). The victims were 16-year-old, Jeon Adrian and 17-year-old, Lee Jungkook.
How could this happen again?!, Ji-Yong screamed in his head.
Ji-Yong found himself back at the river bank, the place where it all started. He now rejected all calls. He didn't want pity or sympathy. He didn't want 'I feel so bad for you' or 'It'll get better'. He didn't want his family giving him material things because they think that it would replace the lost. There were only three things he wanted. One was for someone to be there for him. Someone that felt the same thing he felt, but would stay with him during that time. The second was someone who he could comfort. Jungkook's mom went on vacation a week before and she would come back in two more weeks. Both of these things were impossible because the only two people in his whole world that could fill either of those positions, died the night he left them.
The last was less of want and more of a need. Ji-Yong needed them here. Without them, he was not able to do anything. They were his pillars under each of his arms, as he was one of theirs. He could not live without them. That only left two choices. Choice One was suicide. And choice two had just rolled into his leg.
Ji-Yong stared at the ball. Just one more time, he thought, I need you to work just one more time. Ji-Yong's hands shook as he picked up the ball. He closed his eyes.
He was awoken from his daze by Adrian's voice. "Hey, what's wrong? Why aren't you bringing the ball back?", he asked. Ji-Yong's eyes lit with joy as he saw Adrian, but he refrained himself from hugging him.
Adrian glanced at the town clock and then returned his baseball glove to Ji-Yong. "I have to meet Jungkook somewhere so I gotta go.", he said with a smile. "Oh, Okay.", Ji-Yong said quietly. Adrian replied by smiling an apologetic smile. "That's okay. I have to meet my father, anyways.", Ji-Yong said to Adrian. Adrian smiled and then smirked. "Hey~, Ji-Yong Hyung~.", Adrian said batting his eyes, "Since where I'm headed is in the same direction as your house, can you let me ride with you?" Ji-Yong looked into Adrian's eyes and nodded his head. "You're beginning to act weird, Hyung.", Adrian remarked before getting in Ji-Yong's car.
"Hey, Adrian. Let me have 10,000 won.", Ji-Yong said. "Ahhh, hyung!", Adrian said in complaint. "Balli, Chuseyo. Hurry-up, please.", Ji-Yong said. Adrian reluctantly handed over the money. Then, Ji-Yong looked for something that would leave a stain on clothes. He found an expired can of coffee.
When they got to their destination, Ji-Yong got out of the car along with Adrian and they both walked up to Jungkook. "How come you two chose to meet here of all places?", Ji-Yong asked, glancing at the corner store that stood before him and his friends. "Ask him. He chose this place.", Jungkook said indifferently. "No reason, really. It was the halfway point of Jungkook's house and the riverbank so it seemed like a good idea.", Adrian said and shrugged. "Adrian's staying at my house tonight, do you want to come over?", Jungkook asked. Ji-Yong declined and watched the two go into the store.
After they went in, Ji-Yong looked for the robber he saw on TV. He saw him immediately. He walked towards the person and his canned coffee "conveniently" spilled all over his jacket. "Watch where you're going!", he shouted. "I'm so sorry! I'll pay for dry cleaning!", Ji-Yong said hurriedly. He took out his wallet. Earlier, he took out most of his money and left 50,000 won (approximately 45 U.S. dollars), including the 10 won Adrian so graciously gave him.
"I'm sorry but I only have 50,000 won.", Ji-Yong said. The robber's eyes bulged out of his head. "I'll take it!", the robber said as Ji-Yong handed him the money. The robber then ran down the street and into the arcade.
"You're still here?", Jungkook asked Ji-Yong from behind. "Yeah. There was something I had to get. What did you two get?", Ji-Yong asked them after turning to face him. "Ramen, since neither one of us can cook!", Adrian replied smiling. "K.O.! Well goodbye. I have to go to the mall now.", Ji-Yong said while walking to his car. "Be safe!", Jungkook yelled. "Call us when you get home!", Adrian added. "You too!", Ji-Yong replied as he got in the car, "You too."
Again, the shopping went quickly and Ji-Yong got home around 8 o'clock. The first thing he did was call Jungkook. When Jungkook didn't answer, he figured that they were asleep or drunk, so he took a bath and went to sleep thinking that things had finally worked out, but, as I'm sure you already knew, it hadn't.


© Copyright 2015 Alex Banks (alexbanks6753 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044677-A-Misfortune-of-Life