*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2028552-Nijhum-Dwip
by Aman
Rated: NPL · Article · Travel · #2028552
Nijhum Dwip, an ideal location for nature and adventure lovers




The meaning of 'Nijhum Dwip' is 'Silent Island'. As per its name, the island, located in Bay of Bengal, little far from Hatiya upazila of Noakhali district, is truly a place of serene natural beauty. Splendor of green wood spread over the horizon line, the wonderful beauty of  blue sea, hundreds of colorful spotted deer gazing without fear are the main attraction of this beautiful island, which can surely amaze the tourists, nature lovers and trekkers. 

The island is formed in 1960s. A cluster of islands (mainly Ballar Char, Kamlar Char,Char Osman and Char Muri) emerged in the early 1950s as an alluvium in the shallow estuary of the Bay of Bengal On the south of Noakhali. These new sandbanks first drew the notice of a group of fishermen, who named it Baular Char (literally, the alluvium of sand), later on known as 'Ballar Char'. It was named 'Nijhum Dwip' by former Minister Amirul Islam Kalam in 1979 observing its isolation and mild nature.

On 8 th April, 2001 the government declared the 40390 acres of forest of Jahajmara range including 9550 acres of forest land on Nijhum Dwip as a National Park for the protection and development of the biodiversity of the forest. The population in the island is about 12,000. Their main occupations are cultivation, fishing and livestock farming.

The inhabited part of the island is cultivated and watered by a number of fresh water streams running across it. At high tide a significant portion of the island becomes covered in water, apart from the cultivated, inhabited areas. In addition to the mangrove forest, the island has huge inter-tidal mud-flats and sand-flats, which are of utmost importance to resident and migratory water-fowl, and serves as the southernmost stop-over for close to 100 species of migratory birds.

Now this island has been declared as the unique eco-touristic spot for its ideal natural setup with the rich bio-diversification factors and the perennial mangrove forest with wild animals like spotted deer, wild boar and rhesus macaque and for the ideal habitat for fish resources. Since south coast is open to the mouth of great span of Bay of Bengal, the appearance of whale sometimes occurred.

But, according to the tourism professionals, still its long way to turn this island a hot tourists spot. The communication to Nijhum Dwip and back is not easy. As a result, the tour operators of the country suggest the travelers not to take old people or children with them, while they are on a tour in the island.

Travelling Nijhum Dwip is sometimes not very easy, as it depends entirely on tidal forces of Water. You cannot go though bus or air due to no land connection or airport. There are two possible routes. From Dhaka you must go Sadarghat Launch Terminal from where a launch everyday leaves towards Hatia (Tamuruddin Ghat). It may take 12 hours (From 5.30pm - 8.00am).

From Tamuruddin Ghat you can hire motor cycle to reach Jahajmara Ghat. From Jahajmara Ghat you have to cross a small channel by boat. The opposite side of Jahajmara Ghat is called the Moktarghat and from here by hiring a motorcycle you can reach your final destination the silent Island (Nijhum Dwip). From Nijhum Dwip to Dhaka (on the back journey) you must catch the only one launch which leaves everyday from Hatia (Tamuruddin Ghat) at 12.30pm.

By Bus you can travel Nijhum Dwip. First you have to go Noakhali (Chairman Ghat). Then by a Sea-truck/Speed boat/Engine boat cross the river to reach Nolchira Ghat. From there you must hire a motorcycle to reach Jahajmara Ghat. Then the journey is same as stated before.

The residential facility in Nijhum Dwip is not adequate; however there is 'Nijhum Resort', named after the island, with deluxe, family rooms and dormitory. The rent cost of two-bed deluxe room is TK 1,000, six-bed family room is TK 2,000, and five-bed dormitory is TK 2,400.

Local tourists can also stay at Masjid Boarding, at a cheaper price, where single and double rooms are rented at TK 100 and TK 200 respectively.

Despite difficulty in access and lack of good residential facilities, a few thousand enthusiastic local tourists visit this island during winter every year. However, the number is not significant and the place still could't catches the attention of the foreigners as well.

According to the tourism industry insiders, to make Nijhum Dwip as an attractive tourist destination, at first, public and private investments are needed. More water cruisers and special launch service can be introduced in addition to the advancement of present residential facility for the tourists.

Bangladesh government has been working relentlessly to promote tourism in different places of the country, yet 'Nijhum Dwip' has been remain as untapped opportunity for which not only the government, but also private sector investors can invest and promote. It seems like, if long term plan is taken to promote and highlight the island, it could be one of the hottest tourist spots in the country.



© Copyright 2015 Aman (aman_rakhi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2028552-Nijhum-Dwip