*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2006115-Cry
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Lector
Rated: E · Other · Other · #2006115
Fgfggvtftftft ftttt Tibet
John and Stephen Kumalo are from the same family, brothers in fact, but they couldn't be more different from one and other. Stephen is all about keeping the family together, and living by the old traditional ways of life. He is also very religious so this may also influence his ideals. This is expressed by this quote "about his goodness she has no doubt at all. He is kind and gentle, and treats her with courtesy and respect"(148). Stephen also wants to keep the tribes together, but what he really wants most of all is to keep his family together which becomes increasingly harder for him. On the oppisite end of the spectrum there is John, he sees the city as the place to be, where people understand what the white men are doing, and where you can become known and make a better living then you ever could back in the homeland, this can be shown through this quote "I have my own business, and when it is good, I can make ten, twelve pounds a week."(66). John and Stephen Kumalo, are the two different faces of the native people, you have John on one side who wants to move forward and make a new life for himself and Stephen who wants to stay in the tradition. Both ideals are good, but you have to bring them together for the people as a whole to flourish.
© Copyright 2014 Lector (lector96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2006115-Cry