*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942334-India-THEN-and-NOW
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by shilpa
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1942334
India 178 years ago...
"I have travelled across the length and breadth of India and I have not seen one person who is a beggar, who is a thief such wealth I have seen in this country, such high moral values, people of such caliber, that i do not think we would ever conquer this country, unless we break the very backbone of this nation,  which is her spiritual and cultural heritage and therefore, i propose that we replace her old and ancient education system, her culture, for if the Indians think that all that is foreign and English is good and greater than their own, they will lose their self esteem, their native culture and they will become what we want them, a truly dominated nation."


- Lord Macaulay's Address to the British Parliament
On 2nd Feb 1835




These were the words of Lord Macaulay in 1835 more than 178 years ago. What an analyst he was. I am not appreciating his talent or the intellect but trying to highlight how foolish we were and still we are. What he could read through centuries ago, we haven't understood even today...though we call ourselves educated and literate. He emphasized on the high morals, Indian culture, the education system and the self-esteem of India. All the four strong pillars of our nation. They were so strongly targeted that once broken....we haven't been able to repair them back or should I say restored them back. The self esteem which was the main target area through the way of morals, culture and education  was completely shattered, and we have not been able to restore it even after more than six decades of independence. They have done their job well ....they not only invaded India, looted the money and legacy but also the confidence and the self – respect of the people....They have broken the backbone of our country. But this is what is happened and is over....but its after effects are still here....when and how would we come out of it....that is the question???
We try to copy Western culture without evaluating it. When we go to a departmental store, we try to compare the products on the basis of pricing, value, usage, quality etc. but while copying other why don't we bother to see what is good for us and what's not. There we are just buying the materialistic thing but here we are incorporating all these things in our personality and character. Blindly following anything might lead us to a dead end and we might not find the back from there. We always prefer foreign stuff over ours. 
© Copyright 2013 shilpa (shilpaskumar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1942334-India-THEN-and-NOW