*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935888-A-storm-is-coming
Rated: 13+ · Other · Contest Entry · #1935888
Claire and Tom had had a long day. They had been running around trying to get things done.
Entry for the “Daily Flash Fiction” contest 05/30/13 using the prompt: “A bad storm is coming”.

284 words

Claire and Tom had had a long day. They had been running around trying to get things done.  They both worked so hard all the time that it was difficult to find a few hours, let alone a day, to spend together and get the “couple” stuff done.  Therefore, Claire was relieved when Tom suggested they took the night off:  Chinese food and a film were necessary.

Later, the two were enjoying the food with some amazing wine they’d been given, when all of a sudden Claire stopped dead.  She dropped her cutlery and stared forward, listening intently.

“What’s up with you, Clairey?” laughed Tom.

“There’s a bad storm coming!!” Claire declared, her eyes wide.

“err… firstly how do you know? Secondly… so??” Tom was now half laughing, but was getting nervous. 

As the rumbles from the sky grew, a violent storm was unleashed before them.  In the darkness, Claire and Tom held on to each other as if their intertwined lives depended upon it. 

As the fierce natural forces ceased, the night dwindled away into silence.  The couple lay, looking longingly at each other, both captivated by the spell, which has enwrapped them, and caught in what seemed like a seminal moment.  Surely it was a sign, and both vowed not to let another moment pass unmarked, determined to make the most of the lives they had been spared by Mother Nature on that fateful night.

The couple were soon married, and finding time for ‘couple’ stuff was no longer ever a problem.  Both took the time to appreciate each other, reminding themselves how special what they had was.  As the years passed, the couple reminisced about that night, looking back with fondness.

© Copyright 2013 Fran 💜 💜 💜 (frannywill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1935888-A-storm-is-coming