*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1900297-NE
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Other · Other · #1900297
...................................................................................
I woke up and looked outside the window. The morning was hazy. I searched for my thickest clothes and headed to the school again.
We finally started talking about the subjects we were supposed to but I still felt a little idle overall. It was like I was listening but not really there. "You have to start trying" I told myself, over and over. Annie sat next to me in all classes we were together and continued to talk all day. Now I got her brother's "hope she doesn't drive you crazy" thing. She was really chatty but still pleasant, I did not find her annoying at all. She made some good points on things too, you could tell she was a smart girl. In one of the classes she was not with me I saw her brother getting late in the front row. I was always on the back, especially when Annie wasn't there. The class was an optional one that you had to choose previously, and I was not surprised, the classroom was half empty. It made me think really good of Adam to be in a class where some careless-about-their-future people examined in detail literature and poetry. Annie was in something related to environmental economy or something at the time. When the class ended, I got out of the classroom aimlessly til I realized it was the last class of the day. Annie was in the other building and there was too many people to go and find her. I figured she'd think the same way and go home alone this time. I was inside my own thoughts when I heard someone call my name. I clumsily turned my head and there was Adam trying to walk towards me between all that people. I stopped and waited for him.
-Hey.
-Hey - he answered me still catching his breath.
-I didn't think you'd be in this class too...
-Why not? Do I look like I belong to the football team instead?
-No, no... - I giggled - although now that you mention it, you do look like jock material.
-I hope that's a compliment.
-Oh not at all... - we both laughed.
-So you do like literature... - it seemed he was telling that to himself.
-Yeah... - I said in the same weird tone looking at him. He apparently came back to this planet and looked at me.
-You're in the AB building - it was not a question.
-I am. You're in the same than your sister, right?
-Yes, unfortunately. And in the same floor - he faked an exaggerated gesture of disgust.
-Seem to work out well for you, since you steal her food - he gave me a dirty look and then smirked.
-Speaking of food... do you want to go grab something to eat or something?
-Yeah, sure. Where? - I didn't notice we had left the campus already.
-I don't know. We'll find some place - he gently pushed me with his hand towards the back of the building. I didn't said anything and just followed. He could be taking me to the darkest part to kidnap me or something and I was not gonna say anything.
We finally got to the parking lot and he stopped at some blueish car with a very poor appearance. It was all rusty and opaque, the paint also looked like coming off, like my building. Naturally, I loved it. He caught me staring at it and laughed.
-Are you gonna make fun of my car or what...?
-No, no - I looked back at him - it's pretty awesome, actually.
-Yeah right - he was still laughing, with a pinch of saddened vibe in his eyes and tone.
-I mean it - I said looking back at him, at his eyes - I find things like this pretty rad, you know? Plus, I don't even have a car so I cannot make fun of anyone who does - he walked towards me, very close in fact, and reached with his hand. I got all stupidly nervous and I was pretty sure I was blushing, luckily it was very dark for him to notice, I hoped. Finally he opened my door and waited for me to get in. I did, in a very clumsy way and waited. He got in by his side and turned at me.
-Things like this? - he said with that smirk. I had completely forgot about what we were talking about.
-What...? - pitiful. He laughed and started the car.
-You said "I find things like this pretty rad" - at least he was looking at the front now.
-Oh yeah, you know, I have a soft spot for vintage-melancholic-broken-looking things - he laughed even harder.
-Great, I've been looking for an accurate label for this thing, thank you.
-You're welcome - I said snidely. The car made weird noises when he started it but it felt like it was in an acceptable shape later on. We ended up at this pizza place that I thought it was a bit far from our place but it was all good. We were talking one on one like I did with his sister the day before, only I found his life much more fascinating. He was 19 at the time but just a few months apart from me since I was still 18. He played guitar and was in a band when he was about 16, but now he was quite embarrassed about that. I didn't understand why but what would I sucker-for-bandmembers would know? He kept speaking and I found myself examining his face. It was really weird for my own pleasure. I even thought he looked like some rockstar crushes of mine, but somehow he was even better. What the hell was I thinking. My second day in this hole and I was already falling for some twat. That did not make me happy. Then he asked about my previous life and not even caring like with Annie, I told him everything without any omission. When we finish the pizza we headed home. Damn it was late. I got off his car while he was still in and waved. Approached the shutgun window and said "later Adam" with a smile.
It was 2:30 a.m. and I could not fall asleep. I was thinking about too many things, including my new-found hate for myself. At one point I always ended up thinking about Adam's hair, that was of kind of an ashy very dark brown and oh so messy... or his big yet slanted eyes that were even darker than his hair, very very deep, surrounded by thick black eyelashes, longer than mine. He was really tall, at least for me and you could tell beneath his baggy hoodie and skinny jeans he was beyond thin. His fingers were long and crooked and his triangled pale face was somewhat creamy. When I got back to reality it was 3:00 a.m. Awesome.
My pitiful attempt of hiding the huge dark circles around my eyes was evident when I ran into Annie and said "whoa, didn't you sleep at all last night?"
The first class was math-related so I was prepared for the worst, then Annie started talking to a bunch of people in the classroom and tried to include me in the conversation.
-They're with me in economics.
They all seemed nice but I was way too tired to try to be lovely. I limited to laugh at their jokes but they probably thought I was a deadpan.
At the fourth class of my day I already felt asphyxiated so I decided to ditch it and go home get some sleep. Annie seemed kinda worried but didn't try to talk me out of it, that great should my face have looked. I pushed the glass door and headed to the path, when I saw Adam smoking near there. He saw me when I saw him. I suddenly start feeling better.
-Hey you, where you going?
-I don't know.
-You don't know? - smoke was still coming out his mouth.
-I was going home, I guess, I was feeling tired - this time I was slightly smiling.
-Oh yeah, you look tired - I immediately blushed and felt bad about myself.
-Thanks.
-Hey don't blush - he said laughing - you still look good - how could I not blush?
-Thanks again, Adam - I said blinking slowly, my voice was still all tired and sleepy.
-Hey do you want me to take you? You look like you could die any moment - he extinguished his cigarette.
-No, no, I think I can walk a few blocks. Besides, you must have some classes left, huh?
-Yeah but I don't mind. I was too bored anyway, remember? I was out of my class - he laughed to himself. He grabbed me by the arm a little to hard - Come. Plus, you like my car.
Again in his car I put my head on the backrest and closed my eyes.
-I don't want you to take me as an excuse to miss your classes.
-I would never do that. I have plenty excuses.
I turned my head still resting on the seat a bit to the window and then towards Adam. He was frowning while he looked at the road.
-Do you always look so mad when you drive? - he immediately changed his expression to an innocent smile but didn't answer. When we got there I was still looking at him. He put his head against the seat too and turned to me. We looked at each other for a few seconds. I noticed he had dark circles too, not as gruesome as mine, but still - are you tired too? You look tired.
-I'm always tired - he turned away and opened his door. I did the same with mine.
-Well thank you very much Adam. You saved my life, otherwise I would probably be lying on the concrete by now.
-No problem.
© Copyright 2012 _nymphet_ (madame_addie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1900297-NE