*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864229-Hope-and-Redemption
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Action/Adventure · #1864229
Ruth O'Connell and Eric Aman are thrown together in the middle of danger and mystery.
*I would like for you all to know that I am writing as I go along, that is why there will be many cliff hangers.*

When Ruth O'Connell was outside assisting her family on the ranch, she would steal glances at the handsome new ranch hand. She noticed how quiet and far off he came across. Eric Aman, standing six foot two at full height with glistening black hair and brown eyes, was nothing short of polite and eloquent in his speech. She would constantly smile at him; half of the reason was because she was being polite right back to him, while the other half of her was having a hard time trying to figure out why.

"Is there something I can do to assist you, Ms. O'Connell?" Eric would ask when he would see her looking at him.

"Hm? Oh, actually, yes," she replied, "I need your help picking up some things at the grocery and hardware stores."

"I am here to assist the O'Connell family, and that is what I intend to do, Ms. O'Connell."

"I've told you before, Eric, to call me Ruth. Ms. O'Connell sounds too formal, and I hate being referred to by my last name."

"Very well, Ruth. Shall we run the errands now?"

"Yes, please. I would like to finish them as soon as possible."

Eric and Ruth headed toward her father's pickup truck, so she had a place to put the lumber, groceries, and other equipment she had to pick up. She put the car in drive and guided it down the dirt road and onto the asphalt.

"Eric, I don't know if my parents or my brothers have said this, but I really appreciate all the hardwork you've done the past few months you've been with us."

"You are welcome, but I am simply doing my job."

She nodded, not knowing what to do or say next. Upon arriving at the local hardware store, both of them hopped out of the truck and walked inside the place. Ruth explained to him that she needed lumber and nails because they were running low and pointed him in the direction of where the wood would be found. When she saw his nod of understanding, they went their separate ways.

Eric searched for the lumber that was requested by his boss's only daughter. He, indeed, found her unusual and a little nerve-wrecking. The last thing he wanted was some pretty blonde interfering with his quiet, celibate lifestyle. He was not ready to settle down, even though he had just turned thirty not too long ago.

Finding the lumber, he started gathering as much as he could carry to the front. To avoid biting splinters, Eric still wore his working gloves and an old flannel shirt, to which he was grateful to Matthew, Ruth's father, for lending it to him.

"Eric!"

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The sound of Ruth's cry caused the wood to slip out of his arms and ran to find Ruth. When he turned into the third aisle from the lumber area, he saw Ruth on her knees, visibly shaking. He immediately knelt in front of her and had her look at him.

"Ruth, what happened?" Eric demanded.

"I-I was grabbed from behind. I don't know who did it, but I do know it was a man. H-he told me to stay away from you or things were going to get ugly."

"He did not hurt you, did he?"

She shook her head. He assisted her onto her feet, still feeling her shake in his hands.

"Take a deep breath, Ruth. You need to calm down."

She inhaled through her nose and blew out the breath. She felt herself calm down a little.

"I drop the lumber onto the floor when I heard you scream, so I need to go and pick it up. Are you sure you are alright?"

"Yes, Eric. I'm sure. Don't worry about me."

Eric looked at her a moment longer before he headed in the direction where he came from, while she headed toward the aisle with the nails. Ruth found herself looking down at her hands and snaking them up her arms.
© Copyright 2012 KASIMMS (ocugirl2010 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1864229-Hope-and-Redemption