*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849144-Pies-unfinished
by PSly
Rated: XGC · Draft · Dark · #1849144
Granny Smith reveals her real talent...
Carrot Top stretched her legs as she finished uprooting the last of her crop. Far down the sloping hill, she watched as Big McIntosh pulled a wagon of apple pie towards the little stand near the road, and the aroma of pies floated up on the wind.
She picked up a basket of her fattest carrots, and trotted down the hill to her neighbor's.

"Hi, Carrot!"

The yellow pony nodded at Applebloom, approaching her orange sister.

"Come ta share yer good will, Car'?" Applejack asked, hoof raised in greeting.

"Of course," she said, setting the carrots down by the mare.

"The finest carrots for you, and the juiciest as well!"

Applejack smiled at her cousin, and pushed a pie towards her.

"Well, have this. You know how Granny always gives her best to the best carrot picker 'round here... In fact, thar she is!"

Carrot looked towards the farmhouse, and the aged green mare was indeed approaching, covered basket in tow.

"Well, if it isn't lil' ol' Carrot Top!" she said, setting her burden down before the carrot-picker.

"I jus' made this here carrot jam, to see if I could get yer' approval."

She lifted the corner of the cloth to reveal a small orange jar. Carrot Top dipped a hoof in without hesitation, and sniffed it.

"I never thought carrots could be jammed," she remarked, taking a lick.
"I guess I don't know everything about carrots. Now, aunt Orange, she knew a thing or two about jams..."

"Ooh, she did!" Granny Smith cut in. "She was the eager lil' filly, wantin' oranges 'stead of apples. I taught her the way to jam, yes siree."
She glanced at Applejack.

"Dearie, mind showing yer lil' cousin 'bout jammin'?"

"Not at all. Come on Carrot - and bring your lil' basket with ye."

Nodding, Carrot Top picked up the basket, and almost dropped it when she yawned. It wasn't that big of a surprise, as it was early morning, but she didn't think about it too much.

After a brisk trot, she and Applejack arrived at the cellar doors that led to the Apple's basement. A rank scent hit Carrot's nose as the doors opened.

"You sure we have to go down there? It smells like something... died and rotted..."

Applejack smiled, as if enjoying an inside joke.
"Of course... th' old carrot jam recipe's down thar. We won't be long, C.T."

Despite the assurance, Carrot Top felt unsettled, and strangely sleepy, a hoof rising to cover her yawn.
© Copyright 2012 PSly (pinkiesly at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1849144-Pies-unfinished