*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1832395-Taunting
Rated: · Other · Comedy · #1832395
Comical story about taunting.
Just the other day, I played a great game of tennis. I enjoy the game because it is physically and mentally challenging. Not only are you running full speed to hit the ball, but you also need to plan your positioning, and think fast when the ball is flying your way at sometimes over 100 mph. It is important to develop skill in your swing, as this can determine whether the ball reaches the other side of the net, or the woods outside of the court. These physical and mental necessities, when honed in, can help any player to become better. However, any truly great tennis player will tell you that the most essential ingredient which separates good from great players is taunting. Sure, you can learn how to hit a great backhand, or put just the right spin on a ball, but without a proper knowledge of taunting, you may as well throw your racket in the trash.

Taunting dates back to prehistoric times, when cavemen would dig holes and cover them with leaves and loose netting, then taunt the saber toothed tigers right into the traps. Of course, some of the tigers decided to take long leaps at the cavemen, completely clearing the holes, and ending the legacy of that particular family line. This is what led to larger holes, with the idea that the hole had to be so large that even an agile tiger could not leap over it.

The legacy of taunting continued through the evolution of mankind, and was especially common practice during public hangings. This was a sign of the times, as taunting had always been reserved for productive purposes in the past, but during this time was employed merely as an expression of frustration for the economic and social conditions of the particular period. The outlaws to be hanged were serving in the same fashion as today's politicians in the sense that they were recipients of great public distaste, the main difference being that the outlaws probably listened better than most politicians, particularly when being bombarded with stones, spit, and fruit, the latter being a desirable option, especially strawberries and cherries, being that they were small enough to catch in the mouth, and served well as a final meal.

As language and logical thought continued to develop, taunting also became common in the younger crowd. It is nearly unheard of nowadays to have a child who does not complain at least once about being taunted on the playground, usually for something ridiculous such as a name with sexual or cognitively challenged connotations; Dick Hurtz, Stu Pidmyer, and so forth. Possibly these playground tauntings are what mold our fine young generations into a group who overcomes all obstacles; the CEO's, the pro athletes, the doctors, lawyers, racecar drivers, and of course, rapists and sociopaths.

Taunting is probably one of the most versatile tools any aspiring professional can utilize in his or her repoirte.
© Copyright 2011 MysteryWriter (mystwriter29 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1832395-Taunting