*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1815693-Den-of-Thieves-I-Shifting-Winds
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1815693
"We are the hunters of men, yet we will never kill our quarry." -from 'Thieves' Honor
The fires of war had died out a decade ago. Yet everyone remembered when the arrows flew, when swords clashed, and when blood ran the ground as a river. Many brave men and women died in the war, fighting each other for their own land and power. The women had lost the war and were subjugated by the men. But those who refused to give in lived on in distant forests as little more than savages.
The women of the city were all up for taking once they reached the age of fifteen. They were raped in the street, beaten by the men who took them, and were given no mercy.
Among the men of this city however, there were those few men that did not believe as the others did. They were Thieves. A secret order of men dedicated to liberating the women of the city before their foul kindred could lay their hands upon them.
This is their story:

Aenia shrunk back against the wall, her eyes widenening. The man that approached her had only one thing on his mind. He intended to do to her just what his friends were doing to Tania, her best friend. Aenia could hear her screaming down another one of the alleys and didn't want to think about what was happening to her.
The man drew a knife from the sheath on his belt and jumped at her. Aenia dashed out of his way, but he caught her by the leg. He pulled her closer and tore off the lower half of her meager slave robe that barely covered her anyway. She kicked him in the face with all of her might and he released her ankle. She stood up and tore off down another side alley that stood nearby. The rest of Aenia's shredded garment fell away, leaving her naked as she ran. She didn't focus on this however, as her life now depended on running.

The shroud of night protected Aenia as she moved. She stayed close to the shadows to avoid the guard patrols and hoped against hope that she would be able to escape the city in one unmarked piece.
She shivered in the cold night air, wishing that she were clothed. Still, she thought, it's better to freeze my ass off than be raped and marked.
Aenia stopped moving for a minute and got her bearings. She was in a small shaded alcove and stood staring up at the town of the Sentinel of the city. His appetite for women was rumored to be insatiable due to a curse placed upon him at birth.
Shrugging off this thought, Aenia walked out to end of the alley as a sudden urge hit her. She looked back at the alcove as the best place for it, but a loud noise behind her made her relieve herself where she stood. She felt warm liquid on her legs and a puddle form beneath her as she turned around to find out what had made the noise.
It was a man carrying a knife, and he looked thirsty for more than just Aenia. The man ran up to her and pinned her against the wall of a building. He sheathed his knife and began fingering her breasts.
Aenia heard a terrifying sound accompanied by his snarl, rustling fabric. She looked down as best she could to be certain and recieved a sight that she wished she could unsee. Bringing her right knee up as best she could, she hit the man in his exposed crotch which caused him to double over in pain.
Aenia acted quickly by drawing the man's knife and slit his throat where he lay.
Then, she felt another hand on her. This one however, was softer.
"Come with me," the robed man said. He looked young, but had a scar across his cheek. His cowl was drawn up and that concealed the remainder of his facial features. Still, Aenia knew what he was. Even though she had believed them to be only legends.
One of the notorious Thieves.
© Copyright 2011 Thomas Will (jparrish93 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1815693-Den-of-Thieves-I-Shifting-Winds