*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1786669-Meeting-a-Merman--Prologue
by Tai
Rated: · Fiction · Fantasy · #1786669
Kyle's life was bland and dull, but that was about to change.
         Kyle was a young man of about 17 years old.  He was smart, athletic, and overall a great guy.  However, he didn't have many friends because people thought of him as "different."  Even though this didn't bother him too much, he sometimes felt like an outsider.  Kyle never really did much besides schoolwork and his job as a lifeguard, so his daily routine was getting a bit stale.  However, even though he didn't know it yet, his life was about to change forever.

         It was a cool Summer evening, and Kyle's shift was just about to end.  Everyone else had already left and gone home, so he was the only one left on the beach.  Though, he couldn't help but feel strange.  He felt like someone was watching him; like someone or something was spying on him from the water.  The young lifeguard simply got up and started toward his car, figuring it was nothing.  However, he froze in his tracks when he heard what sounded like someone coughing.

         As he turned back around and started walking towards the group of rocks where the sound was coming from, Kyle saw a boy who was about his age.  He had brown hair, blue eyes, and looked terrified when he saw the lifeguard.  Not noticing the boy's horrified expression, Kyle just tried to speak with him.  "Excuse me sir, but the beach is about to be closed off to the public."  There was no response from the boy in the water.  Instead, he just backed up further until his back was against a rock.

         "G-Go away..."  The boy spoke with fear in his voice.  "Just leave me alone and go away.  I haven't done anything wrong, I'm not a monster!"  Kyle looked at him like he was crazy.  However, when he tried to reach out his hand to help the teen up, he was shocked to see a green, scaly fish tail instead of legs.



To be Continued...
© Copyright 2011 Tai (mermantai at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1786669-Meeting-a-Merman--Prologue