*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776527-MY-GRADUATION-SPEECH
by Bonnie
Rated: 13+ · Other · Community · #1776527
MY Graduation Speech
The Best Days of my WDC School Life


Hello, Hannah, Leaders, Mentors, Alumni and Graduating Class,

2010: It started off as I start every New Year, full of prayers and promises. Little did I know that Poems would be included later.

Before the end of the month, I got sick, for the first time in my life, I was admitted in a hospital. Recovery would be a long, slow, process, and along with this sickness. I met a new best friend called depression.

My family tried all they could to separate me and this friend. They thought it was a bad influence on me, but you know. It's the old story - the more they tried - the harder I held onto my friend. This went on for a few months.

One day, my brother was rummaging around in the attic, and he brought down a lot of my old journals. This was a turning point, a light in the darkness.
We were reminded: - of a time when I wrote; little stories, poems, and events.
Journalese was the original bloggers… We did it the old fashioned way, with pen and paper *BigSmile*

I started writing again, more fiction this time, and I began to see less and less of that new friend I talked about. However, I realized I needed help, so I came across a few sites. One that stood out was WDC. For the first month, I watched from the sidelines.

Finally, I took the plunge, and hit my first brick wall, was it B-item or Writing ML? One thing I did know was how to ask for help.

One day, in my mailbox was a reply from a member. I was delighted that someone took the time to mail me, and seemed to offer the hand of friendship.

Before long we were e-mailing regularly. Her letters were full of excitement. Best seats at the Super Bowl excited! She had just started her newbie course with the PDG’s. She was enjoying it so much. One day she wrote me to say she had been invited to become a Junior Leader. Well, I knew that the ones at the top of the Gang knew they had pure gold on their hands, and they were not letting her go. I doubt I need to say who this splendid woman is as we can all tell a similar story, our lovely Laura….

Now, I had checked out this group, and whoa... I was onto all that excitement. I really wanted to become a Doll!

I would see all the sig’s of this exclusive group, all around the site, and what struck me most, was the closeness and kindness of them all.

Then another thing happened. I met another doll, the wonderful Mystic_ writer.

Both these woman, are natural educators and encouragers, they are not self serving, they give of their time and talent because they want to see you give your best. I was truly honored when I received a letter from dolls asking me to join.
I received a lovely welcome letter from the co-founder Hannah. I swear. I felt so proud that I had been invited to join this wonderful group, that dedicates most their online time to making others feel at home here on WDC.

It seemed forever and a day before my course began, like the expectant mom awaiting the delivery of her baby.
I did learn something from Laura, in the early days, and that is to be a bit bold. I e-mailed the writer of a DFFC winner, as I really enjoyed her story. She e-mailed back, and that’s how I met another, dearest, a friend on WDC, Meg.
Laura claims the title as my first friend on wdc.

While I was waiting for the course to begin, I got more confident in my writing, in networking on WDC, all because I was a part of it. The spirit of giving in this community is humbling.

One woman began the PDG’s because of the loneliness she experienced when she first joined.
Her commitment to fostering newbie’s is admirable; she has surrounded herself with good solid people…. From the early beginning, she has achieved so much that is awesome.

Quickly, that Paper Doll chain grew. That unbreakable chain came to me, in more ways than I can explain. Reaching out a hand to me, it helped me in my life, to which I will continually be very thankful.
These past six months have been so good for me. Not for winning prizes or recognition, but being included, in a time in my life when I needed something to focus on other than health matters.
Hannah’s vision was waiting there to help me some three years on.

Participating in the course has been a wonderful accomplishment for me. In addition, the Reviewing Academy too, both have been ideal for me.
Being asked to become involved as a Junior Leader, I did have to think about that. Not that I didn’t want to, I just wondered if I could do my best. I have always been a loyal friend. I wanted to give the Paper Dolls my loyalty and 100% commitment. However, Laura was so good to me when I asked her for advice, bless you Miss Laura.

All of my fellow graduates it has been a pleasure getting to know you all. We have been entrusted to take the PAPER DOLL GANG forward. We can do this with dignity and respect, as that is what we have been given as newbie’s {alumni in waiting} and during our course…
Huge thanks to the Leaders and Alumni who have been there for us.
To my wonderful mentor Cindy, you truly are a Guardian Angel,
To Hannah, I am most grateful for you. I thank God for you.
To Laura; you are such a giver of your time and talents, you have no idea how much your friendship means to me. You are a rare individual.
To my graduating class, I hope that you achieve all you set out to do in your writing endeavors; I thank you all, that you all share that spirit of giving. That is THE PAPER DOLL GANG.

That is my story, not for pulling heart strings, as no one knows another’s journey. However, me, myself, and I, are fortunate to have become a member, an Alumni, and Junior Leader of the PDG.
Congratulations to all my fellow graduates, CLASS IS OUT!
© Copyright 2011 Bonnie (bonniemarie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776527-MY-GRADUATION-SPEECH