*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1719348-The-Amazing-Race
Rated: · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1719348
Daily Flash for October 25, 2010
The alarm clocked buzzed. It was 4:45am. Time to get back to the race! Already?

Geez! What were we thinking.

My BFF and I had watched the Amazing Race season after season and thought ‘We can DO that!’

Now we were only in week two and every bone on my body ached. First the constant rain in Nicaragua, and somewhere lost in Cairo. WTH?

“Get up! Let’s get moving!” That was Shirley. She was a personal trainer, so she didn’t hurt nearly as much as I, a computer geek.

We quickly dressed and headed off to get our first clue of the day.

It was 7am Cairo time and the other teams had started arriving. We grabbed a clue and started reading: “Make your way to the Mortuary Temple of Thebes built during the 18th dynasty by Amenhotep III. In one of the two giant statues you will find your next clue.”

“Let’s go!” Shirley, again.

We made our way through the heat on tour buses and camels until we located the two giant statues. We hopped off and started running toward our goal. Two team were there searching around the humongous statues.

Up close, I was in awe. I couldn’t believe I was here.

“Keep looking!” Shirley, again.

Didn’t she grasp the gravity of it all? Didn’t she realize these statues had been here for centuries and were built by people???

I lost track of our purpose and started climbing inside the statues, looking at every crack and crevice. Wondering what they thought as they built it.

Suddenly, as I touched and probed and prodded, I felt something move. What the…

A secret panel opened. I peered into the dark opening. Seeing nothing, I carefully put my hand in the opening. I felt something.

OMG!
© Copyright 2010 ljohnson (lesleyjohnson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1719348-The-Amazing-Race