*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694348-UP-AHEAD
by Clarry
Rated: · Prose · Family · #1694348
A short peice of flash fiction
UP AHEAD.

‘I knew you’d end up blaming me,’ What was the point of giving me the map if you weren’t going to follow my directions.’ He tightened his grip on the wheel and stared out through the windscreen. ‘ The bloke at the garage told me there was a back way that would cut about forty minutes of our trip, Why can’t you pick up on the map the road we’re on.’ They argued back and forth for the next ten kilometers or so. It was starting to get dark now, and still the road just wound on ahead of them. ‘I can see a billboard coming up,’ ‘Maybe there is a motel ahead we could stop and ask for directions.’ ‘Ask for directions! ask for bloody directions, that’s how you got us into this mess in the first place. ‘He didn’t answer, he didn’t have too he knew she was right. She wondered quietly to herself why he always thought he had an animal like instinct when it came to directions. Face it she thought, we’re lost. Although her husband the computer programmer would probably describe it as being ‘Geographically misaligned ‘. The billboard he hoped would be good news turned out to be a giant ad telling them to ‘Go Well Go Shell’. She bit her tongue and made yet another effort to try and find them on the map. There were thin red lines spidering all over the place; they looked like veins that ran in crazy patterns across the page. ‘What if we just turn around and go back to where we left the highway?’ she asked. He didn’t answer. He just kept on driving. He just kept on hoping that their destination would magically appear around the next bend. And all of a sudden they could see an intersection coming up. ‘You see! I told you I’d find away! As they drew closer to the junction his grin got wider. Until his darling wife pointed out that they were back at the spot where they’d left the main road, an hour and a half earlier!
© Copyright 2010 Clarry (clarry56 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1694348-UP-AHEAD