*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1599633-A-Tale-of-Sorrow---Part-One
Rated: · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1599633
A curse begins A king pays the ultimate price
Edamar. The city of Silvans. A civilisation of elves ruled by King Anarion the Wise.

Guftar. A hell bent horde. An army of half breeds. Ruled by Molkor, the Accursed.

Ever have they warred. A thousand battles fought, but neither gaining. There have been great losses to both sides. The time had come for action on a colossal size.

Molkor sent out assassins. Through days and night they travelled in secrecy to Edamar. As night fell they sneaked into the city. To the castle of King Edamar itself. Once in his bedchambers they attacked, but so great was the Elf Kings speed and strength that he over came them all. All but one assassin remained. In scorn the last assassin spoke, “you think you are so great, but know you not? The dark lord will come and smite you, and you will succumb to lunacy. May you rot, one day, in the fires of Dar Kulbnok, along with all your kith and kin”.

King Anarion, hearing such evil words, struck off the assassins head, and as he stood over the beheaded body he replied, “Be gone with your evil words and foul threats, for this be the house of mine and I will protect it so long as I live”.

Then he made ready to counter the dark lord’s move. On the morning of his departure he bade his family farewell. To his son vanarion, he gave words of wisdom, then mounting him on his shoulders he cried to his men, “Guardians of Edamar, show mine heir the glint of your swords”.

As one, the soldiers drew their swords and held them aloft, so the light of the sun shone ever brightly around them.

Then choosing a number of his men, he left, for the black gates.

But, alas, fate was cruel to them, for they were ambushed by the black wolves.

That day all died. Except for Anarion. They took him back to their master. When Molkor saw who they had captured he rejoiced. He tied Anarion to one of the great pillars of his kingdom facing north and spoke, “Ever has thou eluded me, now no more. Here you will see the ruin of your house, that in which thou pride was utmost”.

There he left Anarion and laughed scornfully, forcing Anarion to watch all.
© Copyright 2009 dragonsdemise (dragonsdemise at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1599633-A-Tale-of-Sorrow---Part-One