*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1530750-The-Red-Roan-Colt---Part-2--Page-3
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Other · Animal · #1530750
Part 2 page 3 Story of the Red Roan Colt
  Part 2    Page 3    The Red Roan Colt

  We were all ready to start pulling, it was going to be our best chance to get the horse out of the bog. My brother folded up a piece of rope so it was about 3 feet long. He tried to wake the horse but he was in a kind of slumber from the cold and the shock. So my brother started hollering and whipping the horse acrossed the rump. We all hollered and yelled at the horse, the horse came to life and realized we were trying to help him! He started to struggle and paw his way out of the mud. We all pulled with all our strength, Mom ,my uncle and I were on the horses lead rope and my brother was on the rope that was on his tail. In a lung he was out of the hole, that he had been entombed in and my uncle was leading him out acrossed the swamp to safety.The colt was soaking wet and he shook and shook from the cold.
    After we all got back to the yard, my uncle ran in the house and got a couple blankets off of the bed. We covered the colt with them. My uncle grabbed an old shirt and started rubbing the colts legs vigorously, My uncle said," I have to get his cirulation going!" We rubbed him all over, the colt shook uncontrolabley, as time went by, he shook less and less, until he returned to normal. By that time, it was getting daylight and there was no point to going to bed now!
  That  was one night, we had pulled off what some people might consider a miracle, mostly because we had to, because the alternative for the horse was something we didn't want to face. Mom and I didn't want the guys to shoot the horse, even thou it seemed hopeless.The horse was still a live, so mom wouldn't give up. Both mom and I were glad we stoud our ground even thou we had struggled for hours to keep the horses head up out of the water. Giving up would of been easier, but fighting against insurmountable odds, has it's own rewards, because even insurmountable odds can be beaten !!!
  Mom taught me a very important lesson that night, to never give up, where there's life, there's hope, so she never gave up !!!
            by Opal Caven
© Copyright 2009 Opal Caven (wildhorsecandy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1530750-The-Red-Roan-Colt---Part-2--Page-3