*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501797-The-Dragons-Return
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Fantasy · #1501797
The day the dragons arrived...
The day the dragons arrived was a frightening one for many. As their majestic forms filled the sky, people on the ground ran screaming from the streets and dove into the nearest available doorway. Very few people remained out in the open to watch these magnificent beasts return. I was one of them.

What follows is a transcript of a recording I made on that fateful day:

I have always been fascinated by dragons. Many have always thought them to be merely legends. However, I have always been a dreamer and like to believe that they had been real. The idea of dragons had to have come from somewhere, and most people’s imaginations just aren’t good enough to come up with that idea by themselves. No, the original idea could only have come from someone who had seen one for real. I mean, think about it. How else could all of the artwork over the years portray dragons so similar to each other?

So now, I have my proof. Dragons are real, and they have returned to Earth for a reason only known to themselves.

Oh, how I want to know that reason! Thinking about all the dragon lore I’ve read over the years, a few things are always consistent. They are beautiful, deadly, and incredibly intelligent. The challenge is knowing which one to go up to. Which one of these beautiful creatures would be willing to talk and share knowledge? Which one would rather do that than kill me?

Watching them fly overhead, I notice that they didn’t bother with the city. I can’t blame them. If I could, I’d leave the city too. I think I’ll quickly return home and get my car. There are still a lot of dragons in the sky so it shouldn’t be too hard to follow one.

Just as I thought. There’s a dragon landing in a large field several miles outside of the city. Oddly enough, there aren’t any other dragons around. It would appear that each one is staking out its own territory.

I’ll stop the car on the road at least 2 miles away and just observe the dragon. I can’t say if this majestic animal is a he or a she. No one has ever written how one could tell. Well, outside of the obvious laying of eggs of course. This dragon is a gorgeous white color. The color reminds me of freshly fallen snow glittering in an open field. The dragon’s head is an awesome sight. The snout is obviously made to hold large teeth. Sharp spikes grace the dragon’s head and run down the back of its neck. The wings. Oh, I can’t even begin to describe these wings and do them justice. They are huge! Well, that makes sense as they support this magnificent beast in the air. The skin that stretches across the entire span is almost thin enough to see through, and yet it has to be incredibly strong. I want nothing more than to be able to go up close and touch those wings. However, that thrashing tail is giving me pause. Let’s not even talk about those sharp claws on each foot being controlled by those incredibly strong legs. Wow! The gouges the dragon is digging into the earth are something else!

On second thought, I think I’ll stay right here and just watch.

You know, I think it’s a much better idea to just let someone else try to talk to one of these creatures. They just had a long flight and I bet they are really hungry.

Yes, it’s definitely time to return home. Eventually, the dragons will have had their fill and then maybe they’ll talk to someone. Until then, I’ll just wait.

End Transcript

Unfortunately, the dragons' appetites show no signs of slacking. It would appear that they can keep eating almost continuously. Before long, my desire to know why they are here will overcome my common sense. I fear that I might become that beautiful white dragon's meal before long. However, with them out in the farmlands eating all the animals, and keeping us from our crops, it might be easier to go to my death at the hands of a dragon than to starve. I will be forced to decide soon. The food in the city is almost all gone.

Word Count: 724
© Copyright 2008 Erin J. Roberts (sldrsprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1501797-The-Dragons-Return