*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1492805-HISTORY-MADE
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1492805
ELECTION RESULTS NEWS EDITORIAL
Today marks an historic day for so many reasons and so many people. It is important that I stress to you the significance that this day holds. For a moment I want to repaint the past a time that held so much hatred, and animosity all for frivolous and unwarranted reasons. A time when we were separated and disgraced all because of the color of our skin. A time when we held no office, no high positions, and no real status. We were violated, mutilated and humiliated for fun and pure evil. We had no right to vote or express our views. We ate from the slums while our white counterparts partook in luxury. Thus the Civil Rights Movement began in 1955. Prominent figures of that time were W.E.B Dubois, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King Jr., and Rosa Parks. This movement sparked a national campaign aimed at abolishing racial discrimination against African Americans and restoring suffrage in Southern states. The Civil Rights Movement strived to include racial dignity, economic and political self-sufficiency, and freedom from oppression by others. For more than 60 years we were not able to elect one person in the South to represent our interests simply because we could not vote. We could not sit on juries; we had no part in the justice system or law enforcement, although in the 1880s, we held many local offices, including that of sheriff. So many people fought, and died for our rights to be restored. So this 2008 election holds so much significance. First of all, the number of people who registered, and actually got out to vote. So this movement, this “Change” affects not only us as a people but us as a nation. Whatever your reason for getting out to vote, whatever your reason for celebrating today keep in mind our Fathers and ancestors who fought for this day to even be possible. People who had no interest in Politics or voting have become more aware and knowledgeable. For the people who were aware and held interest in the Political Office, this electoral race had nothing to do with color but simply the views and forums of each candidate. I want you to sit for a moment and think… If Sen. Obama was not African American but Caucasian and held the same views and experience would he still have got your ballot? If you are a truly for Democracy and the American People then you didn’t vote because he was Black, you voted because you are tired of the War in Iraq. You want to see a change in the Healthcare Administration, the Economy, and the Housing Crisis. So today as we are gloating “because he is black” think about this. For me the answer is a resounding YES, because the Republican party have ran this country and let greed and evil take precedence over the ALL AMERICAN DREAM. So embrace this change, for whatever reason it may be, but pass the vital information on to your children and grandchildren alike.





















© Copyright 2008 Lady Jay (jperry at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1492805-HISTORY-MADE