*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1457254-The-Time-Continuum-Part-One
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1457254
The part that comes after the prologue. Duhh..
The sunlight seeped through the curtains, across the room, to the girl in the bed. It filtered into her dreams, and woke her up.
That's kind of poetic, isn't it? I was just trying to make my experience more interesting... Well, none of that was true, as I'd been sat, fully awake at my desk, crying silently. The fact that it was ten years to the day when the Ana Marie crashed on this island, and killed my father, was only half of it. Every year, on the anniversary of the crash, students in their last year at The Academy must take The Test.
I got up, and looked out of my window, into the town square. The sundial in the middle of it read 6 Morning Time. There was no electricity on the island.
"Raine, time to get up!" My mother, Rosanne yelled down the hall.
"'Kay, Mum!" I groaned inwardly. I know you're not supposed to have favourite parents, but I never liked Mum that much.
I stared into my mirror. I looked very ill. Must just be the light, I thought. On that note, I opened the curtains and let the sunlight flood in. I guess there's one good thing about the shipwreck; it couldn't have left us in a more beautiful place.
I put on my white robe for school, my green belt and matching green sandals. Now I had the task of taming my mane of red hair.
After about ten minutes, it was brushed into submission and I walked down the hall, to the kitchen.
"How are you? Nervous?" Mother asked as soon as I'd sat down.
"Well," I swallowed, "This Test does decide what I'll be doing for the rest of my life, but no pressure." I retched at the sight of breakfast, pushed my bowl aside and got up to leave.
"You're going early! Forgotten something?" Mum said, her arms held wide.
"Yes! Dad's necklace!" I rushed back to my room, leaving mother looking quite upset, and slung the chain over my head.
I waved to her, then left.
School wasn't for another half an hour, but I fancied a walk along the beach.
This part isn't very interesting, so I'll fill you in on the island.
There were ruins of a great town here, the huge temple, with it's ruby and black diamond roof, was where we got the name for the island from. There was an inscription above the entrance, reading Phyre Temple - Infernos the Great. We named the island Phyre Island after that.
After staring out at the ocean for a while, and at the wreck of the Ana Marie, I heard the school bell from a distance. How could I possible be late?!
Oh well, I was going to have to face The Test sooner or later.
But I'd have rather it been later.
© Copyright 2008 Lizzard (lizzpop at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1457254-The-Time-Continuum-Part-One