*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1435514-Greenmite
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #1435514
Bigger IS better!
Greenmite


Greenmite hopped along the ground, not paying attention to where he was going.  Suddenly, hip hop took him into a metal pole, hurting his nose.  He stopped his forward jumps and sat back on his hind legs, leaning back as far as he could, staring at the huge dark thing that was over his head. 

He rubbed his wings together, chirping his question of what this circle could be.  To Greenmite’s surprise, he heard a faint squeaky chirrup in answer.  He was so surprised that he fell backwards, all six legs waving in the air.  Who was up there?  He had to find out!

Twenty or thirty mighty jumps later, Greenmite finally made it up to the edge of the thing.  Scrabbling with his legs, he finally pulled himself over the edge and onto the round black thing. Taking a look around he was startled to find no one up there.  He gave out an experimental hello, but no one answered him.  All that work for nothing!

Disappointed, he took a small jump and landed in the center of the black round thing.  And to his surprise, he landed hard and bounced right back up in the air, higher than he’d ever gone.  It was fun!  He did it again and again, going most of the afternoon bouncing up and down and up and down.

Just when Greenmite stopped to catch his breath, a huge round striped ball came flying through the air at him.  He was so startled and tired that he couldn’t move to get out of its way.

*  *  *

“Dad...play catch with me, please!’ the boy called as he climbed over the side of the trampoline, grabbing the beach ball to throw at his Dad.

“Ew Daddy!  What’s this green slime all over my ball?”


300 words
© Copyright 2008 ShadowMouse (knitmouse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1435514-Greenmite