*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1432964-A-short-story-about-my-life
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1432964
A short story about my life, who I am, were I came from and who I want to be.
On February 1st, 1975, I believe it was a wednesday, I was born to Donna Skarka and Dennis Skarka. I weighed 7lbs 7 oz and I was 21 1/2 inches long. My mother always said I had the biggest mouth. The nurses were so stressed with my constant crying that when it was time for me to go home the nurses were all thrilled and excited, well that's what I was told.
I grew up on Long Island NY in the 1970-80's were life was not so much of a worry. We were allowed out till dark, we ran up and down the streets barefoot and we rode our bikes to the neighborhood deli. It was so innocent back then, that I recall being able to purchase cigarettes for my grandfather as long as I had a note stating that they were for him.
I did not grow up with a father, My mother pretty much raised me. She was a full time RN at the hospital I was born at. She worked just about everyday and made sure she had food on the table, heat in the home and a roof over our heads. I always appreciated her for that even though I may not have always showed it.
As I grew up, I don't think I was an easy teenager to deal with. I would do things that some teenagers would never do, like have boys in the house when there mom was not home, invite friends over and have what they called a party back then. I recall my brother doing some freaky stuff as well.
Though as I grew up, life was not always easy for me. I had my first child at the age of 18, graduated high school then started college, but for some weird reason I thought it would be a better idea to allow my daughter's father ( at the time ) go to school because he was going to take care of us. I moved in and out of my parents home with our concern, moved my daughter from one home to another. Never really stayed in one place for a long enough time. I guess this is why I am the way I am today. Not stable, well not stable enough to were I could gain a financial ground. I am married and I have 2 other children as well as my first one who is now 14. Life sometimes seams to be confusing or stressful. I tend to want to hide, scream or just go to sleep and not wake up again. But of course, every day I get up at 5am to get ready for work and then my kids ready for school and out the door I go.
Life sometimes seams to be a big issue to me, but I always seam to learn how to get around it. Just like now, I am back in school and I am doing my best to continue.
© Copyright 2008 AlwaysThinking (kirsten1975 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1432964-A-short-story-about-my-life