*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1379758-Crash
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Taiki
Rated: GC · Other · Other · #1379758
a Viet Nam vet gets into a car wreck after an argument with his wife
My blurry vision started to focus as I blinked my eyes in disbelief, Snow? on this road? I suddenly realized that this was no longer the road. I leaned up to find my car was on its side and that I was still in it! Looking at the ground I wonder “where’s the door!?!” I unbuckle my seatbelt but as I do I discover that the whole right corner of my seat and hip was covered in a sticky red liquid. Blood, I started to panic and that’s when the pain hit me. My joints seized up and as shock set in I saw my wife. Anna, I was looking back at when I had last seen her. I remembered our argument over our debt to the bank. She wanted a loan, I didn’t. She then had proceeded to go on and made the deal while I was still at the dealership. After the ensuing fight I stormed out of the house. I didn’t think that would matter so little as it does now. I was shaken back to awareness when the semi in front of me burst into flames. I could see the red light of the inferno dance through my nearly shattered wind shield. My convulsions stopped and I found that my mouth is filled with blood. I must have had a seizure instead of going into shock. I must have bitten into my tongue.

Struggling to keep my balance as I lean up on my left leg, I push up on the passenger side door above me. Thankfully it unlatched allowing me to carefully crawl from the wreckage of my SUV without needing to use my pain stricken right leg. I flopped onto the snowy ground like a fish out of water. Struggling to balance on my one useful leg, I hobbled about 10 feet away from my vehicle when the semi exploded, tossing me through the air and into the snow like a rag doll. The metal pieces of shrapnel stinging as I try to recover, looking back I could see that my car had now been engulfed in the flames and the smoke rising into the heavens, well above the cliff-side rode we had all plummeted from. The shrieks of pain and fear erupt from the other vehicles as the flames dance higher and higher with its plumes of smoke bellowing off into the sky. The haunting memory of gunfire and that napalm inferno, the screaming children trapped inside the building I was unable to reach. The moment had hit me like a bat to the head. I turned and fell face first into the snow. I wanted to save them but I was in no shape to save anyone, probably not even myself.
© Copyright 2008 Taiki (taiki at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1379758-Crash