*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362514-Moon-Whisper--Chapter-Eight
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1362514
Continuation of Moon Whipser
Chapter Eight

"Now see what you did, Kylian?"
"'Commander' Dread, the spell cast on the Valandil Fír was suppose to infect and influence the counsel to lead them away from our area. It was also suppose to get rid of the Elders, who wanted to eliminate our territory by heating the earth around us and burying us in magma. It was not meant for a takeover in Laiqua."
"Nonetheless, this loss was because of your ignorance as a leader."
"This loss was irreversible either, according to 'my' plan. I was never wanting to claim Laiqua as my own. The elves are not that stupid to just give me control of the Eryn region."
"That may be, but that was 'your' plan, Kylian."
"You still plan on attacking Oira, don't you?"
"My aren't you perceptive. Yes, I plan on it. The ethereals are interfering as we speak. I saw Echuiver at the meeting. Therefore, we should bring this fight to the ainu."
"Dread, its suicide to attack Oira. Our numbers won't make it pass the front line of pherainu, where Echuiver will be stationed."
"Shut your mouth, you miserable wench. You are below me, so know your place, bitch!"
"You should watch thy tongue, you miserable excuse for a wraith. You may be in charge of my men, but that doesn't mean I cannot kill you where you stand."
"Oh, I get it now. She was spared in the beginning because of love. You sank so low that you had to fall in love with a lower ranking officer, even if she is a kniving whore."
"Don't you say another word, you bastard. I had many to choose from. But Erin was more than willing to sacrifice her life to protect mine then. 'To the end, my lord,' was her exact words. I still hold to that promise to this day. So shut your mouth."
"How very touching. You can both die together in Oira!"
"Kylian!!!"

The sun started to rise above the tall trees of the forest. The birds and many animals were waking to the new day that waits before them. The people of Laiqua were just starting to resume their lives after a night of festivities.
At the window again. Zeke stares out at the slow morning commute of Laiqua. His brother and his friends were still sleeping soundly in their beds. The thoughts of bringing his friends into this kind of ordeal, this dangerous quest that lay before them, filled his head with doubt and fear. He did not want to risk their lives for the safety of millions.
"Boys, time to wake up! Breakfast is ready!"
Zeke was surprised that his mother still had energy to cook after all she had done the past few days. But he brushed it off and started walking to the kitchen. He was suddenly stopped by Raine, who was blocking his path.
"So three more have been discovered?" Raine asked with a hint of disproval.
"Yes. Lia, Cora, and James. They found out yesterday at the council meeting," Zeke replied, sensing this in his voice.
"The one Joseph and I weren't at."
"I didn't want to make a big deal out of it."
"I am not concerned with you not bringing us to the meeting. Frankly, I never liked bureaucracy. But having three more people with us can prove troublesome, considering the danger that seems to linger everywhere we go.
"We don't know if they are a problem to us or not. But if we are to be successful in defeating these rauco, then we need all the help we can get. The Noleveo from back then wouldn't have squabbled like this if Cúna's army was standing before them."
"Then what should we do now?"
"We should train on our way to Culunia."
"Culunia? The dwarven city?"
"Yes. I need to visit the Gate and make sure that no one will do something to it."
"Isn't that selfish of you to go there?"
"No, because we are being followed by my predecessor's mistake."
"The homunculi?"
"Yeah."
"Then we need to stay still. They may prove dangerous to us if we go there."
"The only way to stop them is to reverse the process, and I need to do that at the Gate. Or so I've read."
"Hey, why are you guys blocking the stairs?" Joseph asked still very sleepy.
"We were just talking. Sorry," Zeke answered.
"Oh, well then. Move."
"C'mon, Raine. Let's eat. We can discuss this with the others later."
The boys headed to the kitchen, where Zeke's mom, Lia, James, and Cora were already eating their breakfast.
"So Alchemy, Barbarian, and Warrior finally crawled out of their beds to eat. About time you guys got down here," Lia said, half cocky-like.
"I couldn't sleep, and with you three sleeping down here, I just stayed upstairs. Besides, something was on my mind," Zeke replied.
"Wait a minute, how did you know our Noleveo titles?" Raine asked.
"I read up on Noleveo history while on my travels. My teacher made me learn the titles of all of them, and I figured which ones you guys were by your personalities."
"That's interesting. I might have to get used to you calling me that, if you continue."
The six of them sat around the table, enjoying their meal, and continued to talk about what had happened. None of them showed any signs of concern or fear during their conversation, nor did they ever admit they were scared of the upcoming events that may unfold before them.
"So what should we do now?" Cora asked.
"Well, I think we should hang out here and train before moving to our next destination," Raine suggested.
"What about seeing Budi? He wanted to see us as soon as possible," Lia commented.
"He wanted us to see him when we reach Nar. Before then, we need to concentrate on the mainland," Zeke replied.
"What's in the mainland that's important?"
"The Gate Between Worlds."
"What is it?" James asked.
"It is an entrance to another plain of existence, much like how the Gods live in Oira and we live hear. Some scholars say it is a mystery that alchemists know its true power."
"Is there someone guarding the gate?" Cora asked.
"Yes, at all times. The strongest dwarves of the area stand guard at this side of the Gate everyday. Mostly because of the immense power it could or could not possess."
"So why does High Elder Carter wants us to go there?" Joseph asked.
"I need to deliver a letter to a Torin Rumnaheim."
"Rumnaheim?" James questioned.
"You know him?"
"Not personally, but he is one of the best rangers in the Ettelen Region. He is well known in the dwarvish community."
"Sounds like he would be a worthy comrade to have on our journey." Cora said with excitement.
"Yeah, but Raine is right. We should train as a group before moving on."
The group fell silent as the words sank in.
"You kids alright?" Zeke's mom asked as she walked in.
"We're fine. How about you, Mom?"
"I feel a bit tired. I'm going to lay down for a bit."
Elena set down the last plate on the table and headed for her bedroom. Suddenly, she stopped and coughed hackingly. As the six got to check her out, she collapsed on the floor.
"Mom! Are you alright?'
"Lia, go get the doctor. Tell him it is an emergency," Raine said with urgency.
"James, help Zeke and I carry Mom to her bed," Joseph said.
"Cora, come with me to the garden. Maybe we can find some herbs to heal her," Raine suggested.
The three boys lifted her and carried her to her bed, where she continued to cough violently.
"I don't understand. How could this happen?" James asked Joseph. "She was fairly healthy."
"She must have come down with it recently," Joseph answered.
"No wonder she was always busy."
"This wasn't the reason she was busy all the time. She didn't want to show her weakness," Zeke added.
"Zeke, the doctor is here!" Lia called from the foyer.
Zeke ran downstairs and showed the doctor to his parent's room, where Zeke's mom was looking worse than what she did minutes ago.
"I need to examine her carefully. You four need to leave the room for a while," the doctor said calmly.
The four headed downstairs and sat around the table, hoping that Zeke's mom will be alright. Joseph, Lia, and James were scared that she might take a turn for the worse, but Zeke was keeping spirits high. Minutes later, Raine and Cora came back with plenty of herbs to heal as much as they can.
"So, has the doctor come out of the room yet?" Raine asked to the worried group.
"Not yet," Zeke replied, sensing something wrong with the situation.
"We should get your father, Zeke," Cora suggested.
"Yes, we should."
"We better hurry. When I went to get the doctor, the whole city looked as bad as your mom did," Lia said.
"What do you mean?" James asked.
"It was horrible. Women and children vomiting violently in the streets. Men crowded around the families just as confused as we are now."
"Then it isn't just something random. It looks like an epidemic," Raine commented.
"We should hurry before more people get infected. Raine, can you check around town and see if something is responsible for this?"
"Sure."
"You guys better get going and get your dad. From what I saw, she doesn't look like she's going to make it," the doctor said to the group.
"How long do you think?" Joseph asked.
"At least by sundown. There's no medicine available that could cure the symptoms she has come down with. In fact, the majority of the city has come down with similar symptoms. I'm completely stumped."
"What could have caused this?" Joseph continued to ask.
"What's even weirder is that the Councilate building is surrounded by a gray fog that affects anyone that approaches it."
"What?!?" Zeke exclaimed.
"Yes, many people who have come close to it either faint and cough violently or pass out and convulse on the spot."
"Did anyone see anything before? Anything that might be unusual?" Zeke asked.
"A few people said they thought they saw two sickly gentlemen walk into the building early this morning."
"They must be the ones causing this epidemic."
"But even if they are, how are you going to get past that fog? It seems to act like a barrier."
"We figure out a way. Either way, we're running out of time. Joseph, you stay with the doctor and mom. Lia, Cora, James, come with me. Let's get Dad."
Zeke ran out the door, along with Lia, Cora and James following close behind him. Determination was on their side, but time was slowly slipping by them with each passing minute. They had to hurry if Elena, Zeke's mom, even had a chance of survival.
© Copyright 2007 Phantom Space Man (zion_writer14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1362514-Moon-Whisper--Chapter-Eight