*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1341167-Hours
by Milton
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1341167
A hired hitman comes face to face with a talking alarm clock.
Looking at my target while she was defenseless made me feel a nice pleasure shiver down my spine. While I was holding a handgun in one hand and a sharp hunt knife in the other, she was holding her heart with both, cornered in the kitchen of her own house. Good thing she lived alone in the middle of a hill. Gunshots wouldn't be heard, as well as screams. Also, the house was so big I could have some fun figuring out a way to hide her body once I was done. I never questioned my clients the "why's" and "who's" about their targets, so looking at her pretty body and beautiful young face made me think she probably dumped Viktor Clientela (the nice man who ordered this hit) in a such a way that simply slapping the shit out of her wouldn't redeem easily.
Sweating like an angel and scared like a defenseless goddess, I never the less saw her as both.
- So are you going to stay there panting like broken air conditioner, or are you going to write a will somewhere. Would be a shame to put this house into wrong hands.
- Fuck you! I know who sent you... But don't you think you are going to leave this house easily!
I laughed out loud, to let her see who was in control of things:
- You're funny... what have you done? Phoned the police? Don't worry, I have friends that can make it seem you shot yourself today and that I was trying to calm you down...
- The police is the last thing you should be worried about!
Something in her eyes made it seem she was thinking of something else. Looked like anger, but it also looked like triumph. She then whispered:
- When the Watch sees you, you'll be as dead as me! And believe me, having a bullet trough your brain will be roses comparing to what he'll do to you...
- Think fast...
I pulled the trigger so quickly she didn't had time to shout a scream. The bullet was projected trough her nasal cavity, blasting the nose into pieces. Death swallowed her in a blink of an eye.
- Psychotic bitch...
I locked the gun and guarded it inside my coat's pocket. Silence fell over the house. As a good professional, I went in the search of some clean sheets to clean up unnecessary mess before moving her body. The kitchen was lighten up with the orange colors of the setting sun, giving an eerie atmosphere to the place.
- Wonder what time it is...
I never carried a watch with me, because time never was a problem when I was on duty. A careful search trough the kitchen walls didn't reveal a watch either.
- Strange...
I left that compartment, into the big hall that contained some large stairs that lead to the second floor of the house and a few other doors. No watch here either.
- Doesn't matter...
But when I turned to the kitchen door again, a man dressed with a fine smoking outfit blocked the door, as if he had just appeared out from thin air.
- What the fuck!!!
My first reaction: take the gun out and point it. In a second I unlocked it and made two clear shots into the man's chest. He didn't even flinched. When I looked to his face... I dropped the gun:
- Wha... what?!
He didn't had a human head. In fact, his head was telling me the hours.
- Yes everyone says that when they meet me. - replied the talking watch. I could see it was 6:45 Pm because his head was a digital watch. A BIG digital watch. The rest of his body was as human as mine was. The voice seemed to come from the loud speaker on the top of him, probably from where the alarm sounded. It's electronic, emotionless voice continued:
- By the way, never say that time doesn't matter.
I could only point out to him, step back, and force coherent words:
- Yo...you're a... a fucking talking watch!
- Didn't she tell you that? - it took a step forward
- Stay back you freak!!!
I shot all bullets on the watch, this time pointing to the digital screen that weirdly showed the red numbers. The bullets didn't make a scratch.
- Good, are you done? - the watch asked.
Dropping the gun I ran to the front door. The bolt was locked.
- Thought you would try that...
I glanced back at it. But before I could make another move, it raised it's human hand towards me and shouted:
- Time for you to stay calm...
A horrible violent pain exploded inside my chest. As if all my lungs and heart were being pushed into a paper shredder. The pain burned itself up my body, until my eyes started crying blood. I shouted like hell. After five seconds, the pain disappeared, and I fell on the ground, breathing hardly and feeling the sweet acid taste of blood coming out of my mouth.
- I've twisted you heart at about 180ยบ degrees, obstructing some arteries and veins. You have about ten minutes before one of your veins splits itself and starts leaking blood inside of you.
He wasn't kidding. I was having a hard time breathing and I could feel every heartbeat blasting my senses as if a bomb inside my chest.
The watch grabbed a chair and sited, the time was 6:50 PM.
- So, are you going to stay there panting like a broken air conditioner or are you going to ask me what you are supposed to do to make me put your heart back to normal?
Every time I opened my mouth, squirts of warm blood came out and ruined the carpet I was layed on. I took one minute to clearly ask it:
- What do you want?...
- To show you the difference between living nine minutes and living a whole fucking life time.
- I don't... - a gigantic pain spasm made me twitch on the ground. I couldn't take much more- I don't understand.
- Well, as a killer you should. Since it is your job to freely take your victim's life hours as if you were taking candy out of someone... Eight minutes...
I closed my eyes, trying to maintain focus. The watch went on:
- In about seven and a half minutes your whole existence will end in such brutality that if someone were to watch it he or she would start enjoying its life even more. Enjoy it by the SECOND!
More pain. What did it want? Where the fuck did it came from?
- Well, but I guess it's part of your human nature to neglect time... Years of evolution where wasted on your kind so it could develop a sense of "time". Always thinking of space... but never time. Six minutes. If I were you I would stick my hand inside my chest and put that muscle back to it's place.
- Son of a... ARGH!
- Poor Annie... She knew what it was to enjoy time. That's why she broke up with Viktor and made a threat to call the police. For her, a second was just enough time to make something in this world. Something worthwhile... Four and a half minutes.
- Please... please don't!...
- But you had to come along didn't you? You had to take all her seconds away. Now look at you. She has no seconds left, but you still have got a bunch of them and death sharpening its schyte right in front of you. And are you using those seconds to do something? No, as always you are wasting them. Three minutes.
What was it's intention? To literally stick my hand inside my chest?
- Yes, and rip the flesh out and twist your heart back to it's place. Yes I can read your mind. Two minutes.
- The fuck with... that! Urgh! I won't do it!
- It's your call. Either you be brave, endure the pain and sacrifice yourself for some few seconds and do it, or you just... waste your time being the coward you ever were. That's it. As simple as life itself.
- No...
- One minute...
Each heartbeat was a pain from hell. Each heartbeat was a second passing away, a countdown to my own demise. He or it made me see that.
- The hell with this!
I turned myself until I could face the ceiling, quickly shredded my clothes.
- Forty seconds...
The idea was crazy, my heart was pounding even faster. And somewhere between the blood coming out of my eyes, I was crying. I let out a scream and injected my nails into the flesh. It wasn't enough... I had to literally rip it out. The pain was immense, I wasn't screaming anymore but crying.
- Twenty...
- I CAN'T!!!
- Nineteen...
With both hands I opened a hole in the left part of the chest. I couldn't. I was starting to faint. The pain was out of this world. It was a pain capable of killing. It was the proof that physical pain exceeded the loss of your loved ones and all other sentimental shit that only assholes who never endured real pain could say.
- Ten...
- Please stop!!!
- Nine... It's funny watching you humans when despair hits you. How come you still haven't made a reality Tv show with people being mutilated live?
- Why?...
- Because I want you to take a very valuable lesson to your afterlife after this. Two... One...
And suddenly, the clock alarm went on.


Word Count: 1.629 Words
© Copyright 2007 Milton (gecko at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1341167-Hours