*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1308261-Is-it-warm-Episode-1
Rated: E · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1308261
“Dear friend….you may not believe this but I am a vision of yourself...
It sounded normal that night.  It hit the ground with the accuracy of trillions of guided missiles on earth.  Down it came with the swiftness of its own existence.  An existence that only science explained with logic but many cultures of ancient humans could portray a wider net.  Everything was wet that night except for those who were sheltered from it.  I did not notice if the rain that night the same as it was 2 or maybe 5 years ago.  It might have changed but again who might noticed.  It was almost 10 on my watch as I sat there with lingering thoughts of what could have possibly happened. 

I was sitting on one of those cold ceramic fashion stools staring at the ever-powerful downpour that filled the air.  A cat was cuddling against itself at one of the corners.  It looked so comfortable just to be lying there oblivious of the surrounding.  Did it feel the change that the earth is going through, I asked myself.  Even if it did, will there be any different?

I am living in a country supposedly exciting and savvy which aims to be the “hotel” of the world.  A hub for many businesses of various nations that I wonder what is our identity? 

As soon as the rain ended, I took a slow walk down the pavement.  Grasses were glistening with the purity of the droplets.  Vehicles were passing by on the nearby road, ragingly.  The sound of crickets, birds that flew above me, the greenery of the trees and many other things that made life so valuable were there.  Everything seemed untouched.

I suddenly thought of the small furry animal that I have as a pet.  It is in a small cage with many accessories including a wheel which he likes to run on at night.  The change in the world does not seem to bother him.  It just keeps on running.

For me, I kept on walking focusing on the pathway ahead of me.  Just then I heard something.  A sound that somehow just went passed.  It bothered me because it was strange.  It was like something I heard before but did not seem like anything at all.  I turned around and of course, saw nothing.  I felt foolish for a while.  What could I expect?  An ancient legend somewhere out to haunt me?  I kept on walking and still thinking of the sound.  Suddenly, I realized that it did sound like something.  It sounded like a…whale.  For goodness sake!  It sounded like a whale.  Yes, but what was I thinking?  How could I think of a whale here but it really sounded like one. 

I walked on and sat on a nearby bench.  I looked at the sky and which was obviously normal.  Nothing seemed to change into water and ultimately became a sea where my imaginary whale would swim passed and let me hear one of those sound again.  I slapped myself out of it and stood up.     

“The world is coming to a phase where it is impossible for us to neglect any further.  If it continues at this rate for the next 50 years or so, water level will rise a significant 20% globally.”

Those words kept ringing in my head.  Since that day, I have been asking myself many questions.  What will happen to us?  What is it that we can do?  Will our effort is just to prolong the worst, say instead of 50 years to maybe 100?  What then?  Will our future generations managed to prolong it any longer?

Once I reached home, I went straight for a late shower.  It felt nice with the heater on.  I just let the water wrapped around my body.  The warmth of the crystal clear water seemed to caress my vulnerable soul.  As the freshness of nature gracefully subdued the physical and mental of the human body, I began to think again.  What if we cannot make it in time and 50 years is all my dear small country has before it is gone?

I went out of the shower and put some clothes on.  I ate one slice of bread and drank a nice cold Pepsi before reaching out for the television control.  Nothing much on as usual so I decided to watch a movie I rented the other day.  It was the type of action film that you normally have every corner of the year with some climax here and there.  I enjoyed it though.  After the show ended someone knocked on my door.  A very loud one, it was.  I was quite shocked as who would be here at that hour as I am staying alone.  I got up and walked slowly to the door.  It got louder after sometime.  I hurried and opened it. 

He stood there wet and drenched all the way through.  His hair was black and long that it was hard for me to see him.  The fact that his hair was not dry made it worst as it slopped down his face.  We stood there for about 5 minutes doing nothing.  I lost any sense of words seeing a man like he was just out from a bad rain whereas the rain had stopped like 3 hours ago.  The jacket that he was wearing dripped with droplets of water. 

“I don’t know who to tell this to.  Hopefully, you will help yourself out.” he said with a rather husky voice.

“What, what are you saying?  Are you in some kind of trouble or something?  Do you want to use the phone?” I asked him keeping a close eye for any of his movement.

He closed his eyes and tilted his head to the sky.  I kept watching him.  He raised both of his arms upward like in a secret illegal religious practice.  I started to feel weird with the man in front of me.  Then still in that position, he told me something that made me shivered right through my veins.                       
             
The next morning I awoke with a bad headache.  I shook my head a little and went for a cold shower.  It was around nine.  I went for a light breakfast and as it was a Saturday, I just sat down and read the news.  Within minutes I put the newspaper down and went to the window of my flat.  I looked at the sky outside and the glaring sun greeted me with the utmost energy.  I felt good looking at the scenery and the new day ahead of me.

Just then, I thought to myself.  Was what I witnessed yesterday real or was it just a dream?  To answer that question I opened the door of my flat and there it was like I had seen it that night before.  It looked as though time had not moved.   

   
            __________________________________________________________


Today, I am going for a job interview.  It was a nice Monday morning.  The time is eight exactly and my appointment is at nine.  Seeing that I still have time, I decided to eat and have a coffee before going.  While eating, I look at the small mirror that I keep in my side pocket.  I bring it wherever I go. 


          ___________________________________________________________


“Dear friend….you may not believe this but I am a vision of yourself.  Yes, you may look stunned, surprised and may not believe a word I am going to say but I have not much time.  Listen, I put this little mirror on the floor.  Bring it wherever u go and whenever u decide to do something take a look at it and ask yourself, is what you are doing going to do the earth good or not?  You do not want to end up like me,” the man said hastily.

“I don’t trust you.  What do you want?” I asked.

“Nothing, didn’t my whale warned you?”  He asked and dissolved into thin air.   
© Copyright 2007 MeWriter (mewriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1308261-Is-it-warm-Episode-1