*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1300946-Within-One
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1300946
Multiple personality dirsorder or a ghost inside one.
A yellow orb made itself visible, generating a large amount of light which spread everywhere a mortal’s eyes could breach based on the present aura. Hunger and hopelessness brings out the worst in people, but not amongst one of these and moreover, in the present state.

“Garlic?” asked Brad, with a tone of enquiry and an expression of teasing humour building on his face. Jean knew what he was thinking; at least he thought he knew what he was thinking. Sense of security was at its peak amongst these two young lads. Lacerated a couple of times while carrying out their daring errands, they had conquered fear. A mortal’s second worst enemy, first being death.

Brad started putting his clothes on, or which more resembled a costume of an adult superhero. It was to be zipped from the centre with numerous holders placed strategically around the waist. The main purpose of these seemed to be ease of reach by the user. At the moment, they carried nothing, filling these seemed to be blokes’ next action. But it was only an assumption; Brad strapped something on his shoulders and then a minute later tied an eccentric looking device on those straps with the help of acrylic threads he always carried with him.

“They don’t bring luck, mate,” Jean remarked while putting a similar costume on. “I read about those when I was training, they don’t do shit.” “When was the last time you faced them?” questioned Brad still fixing a crucifix on the back of his helmet. “The moment I entered this junk hole with you.” still not looking at Brad, who seemed to be filling those carriers around his waist with cyan coloured fluid contained in small spherical glasses. “It’s all that psychological crap, which is what they are all about!” said Jean with denial in his tone of speech.

Brad was a country farmer who had lost his beloved mum at the age of nine and after he entered his thirteenth year he never witnessed the company of his dad either. He seemed to have left his cosy home, only not to return. War of the Worlds, as the word was around, seemed to have dragged him out of his secure fortress which stood on the hill in Staines. But that was alas, eleven years ago. He was there again but with a different intention and this time, he had brought someone along – Jean.

“All set?” asked Jean which responded by a strong nod by Brad. They took off, but to where? It was yet unclear. They knew they were vulnerable in the present atmosphere, but something had to be done. They knew not what was ahead but curiosity of that kept them alive.

A yellow orb made itself visible, generating a large amount of light which spread everywhere a mortal’s eyes could breach based on the present aura. Hunger and hopelessness brings out the worst in people, but not amongst one of these and moreover, in the present state.

Brad was at the spot, with Jean who had always been with him since he had returned from the war. They understood each other, so this task did not require any verbal communication. Calculations were accurate and any presence of human error was not detected. Only one action could complete the task now and they knew that moment won’t be long before it struck.

Pair of them stood there, counting on their finger tips now. Nervousness was in the air and sweat beads were visible on the face. He looked scared for a moment, but he gathered himself well. A mild tremble could still be witnessed despite efficient control of the facial expression.

“Now!” came as a shout, followed by one loud bang, which definitely completed the job. Everything disappeared into vacant room with no boundaries. Life seemed to be light. No one had returned from the journeys of that world and this one was not retuning as well. His hand lay near that abandoned weapon. The same hand which had once touched female flesh for the first time and felt it’s remarkable warmth. The same hand responsible for good and bad things. His body lay there, not to rot, but not to be discovered.

A minute later, nothing had changed. Layer of dust and footprints were still evident on the floor. Head was turned with blood still oozing out. Blood stains on the other hand gave no sign of struggle by the victim or in other words the attacker.

“Fair and square!” came as a statement from Jean and he left the shack. Moon was clear as water, night was witnessing it’s presence and Jean, in no need of a body to carry him, was free – at least for the night.



© Copyright 2007 Osbourne (aamir6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1300946-Within-One