*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1242508-Genesis-Class-Lesson-4
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1242508
Lesson 4: Wordiness
1. Although Bradley Hall is regularly populated by students, close study of the building as a structure is seldom undertaken by them.
REVISED
Students daily passing through Bradley Hall rarely notice its elegant structure.

(2) It is expected that the new schedule will be announced by the bus company within the next few days.
REVISED
The bus company will publish the new schedule soon.

(3) Trouble is caused when people disobey rules that have been established for the safety of all.
REVISED
Obeying safety rules protects all of us.

(4) A campus rally was attended by more than a thousand students. Five students were arrested by campus police for disorderly conduct, while several others are charged by campus administrators with organizing a public meeting without being issued a permit to do so.
REVISED
Of more than a thousand students at the campus rally, the police arrested five for disorderly conduct.  The campus administrators charged a few others not getting a permit first.

(5) During the time when I lived in South Carolina, it was my intention to go to college in Florida.
REVISED
While living in South Carolina, I planned to go to college in Florida.

(6) Due to the fact that Jim liked chocolate, he was very upset when the candy company canceled production of his favorite chocolate bar.
REVISED
Jim was furious when the candy company cancelled production of his favorite chocolate bar.

(7) It is absolutely and totally essential that people who enjoy murder mysteries have an admiration for the human faculty of logic.
REVISED
People who enjoy murder mysteries admire the use of logic.

(8) In our company there are wide-open opportunities for professional growth with a company that enjoys an enviable record for stability in the dynamic atmosphere of aerospace technology.
REVISED
Our company offers promotional growth and stable employment opportunities in the dynamic field of aerospace technology.

(9) At this point in time we can't ascertain the reason as to why the screen door was left open.
REVISED
We don’t know why the screen door was left open.

(10) Joe was an honest and hard working man. Basically, he never gave much consideration to sitting idly about, doing nothing constructive.
(Note: Revise the two sentences in #10 to one sentence and eliminate wordiness.)
REVISED
Joe was an honest man who worked hard, only relaxing in sleep.

© Copyright 2007 Kit_Carmelite (kit1197 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1242508-Genesis-Class-Lesson-4