*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1180731-Against-The-Grain
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1180731
This is a short story about a CIA agent. I composed this story from song titles.


Against The Grain

Who would hold her now in the full moon light where Mother Nature forces her spell as the night overturns the day? Diane knew her journey now was to get out from behind the veil where she can capture the angel of the south and pick up the pieces of this random act of love. This isn’t the type of person you get the secrets of Love from when his attitude is riding with the king. Diane knew with this type of sweet illusion you can fall a thousand kisses deep with no static at all. They met at the Funky Stuff, a little Jazz and Blues Bistro down on Bleaker Street where honey dipped souls searching for a simple groove let the good times roll. Diane was nursing a black cow when she saw Jonathan at the bar. She over heard him order a drink from the bartender…

“Scotch, straight no chaser.”

Diane went over to him and whispered in his ear…

“Remember Catalina?”

Jonathan turned his head and said,

“Hello stranger.”

She gave him a kiss on the cheek and lightly touched his shoulder and asked if he’d care to dance. They danced from dusk to dawn like lovers back in the day. She caught herself thinking of how she could get use to dreaming in color, but as we all know this ride only last until the three o’clock blues sets in. As they slow danced the last dance, Diane’s appetite for passion came over her like evil ways flirting in the night. She could feel his black velvet get higher and higher as he pressed against her midnight groove. This game of bump and grind was a sweet sensation that made her feel so good. She knew it was cutting against the grain when this sweet euphoria told her she ought to be in his arms tonight. Jonathan invited her over to his place where they could savor the flavor and get a taste of lush life. He said he didn’t live far from here, just around the corner on Mt Airy Rd. She politely said yes but wondered if she was the flavor of the week or just another cheap thrill like a horse with no name. They left the club with an affirmation of searching for a midnight love affair.

His apartment was neatly kept and everything had its place. She was surprised to see someone of his nature to be so neat and clean. Jonathan asked if she wanted a glass of wine as he took off her coat and hung it up in the closet.

‘White zin if you have it she said.”

“White zin it is he said.”

He asked if she would mind if he lit some candles and put on some music.
She told him,

“Music is my drug…. sure, put some on.”

As she felt every beat of her heart intensify, she asked him

“Where do we go from here?”

He gave a little corner smile and brought her the glass of wine. They both took a sip and gazed into each other’s eyes and then they kissed each other deeper and deeper in a fascination rhythm. She knew it was cutting against the grain when this sweet euphoria told her she ought to be in his arms tonight. In the middle of this flight time, she felt something inside she hadn’t felt in a long time. Like gazing behind the setting sun of love rather than bathing in the ordinary moon lit sky. As their lips parted he said,

“I’ve got to get you into my life.”

A wide smile came over her like a blanket of warm affection.

“Was that a kiss to build a dream on she asked?”

Jonathan knew he was standing on the banks of the deep end with questions like that but calmly said,

“Lets take it day by day and see what happens.”

He knew he could make this black cat moan, so he picked her up and cradled her in his arms and took her into the bedroom where they had a night of passion between the sheets. After some small talk, Jonathan drifted off to sleep and that’s when Diane got up, dressed and left. She had some work to do so she could complete this mission. After eight months of hard work day in and day out, she finally caught up with one of the major arms and cocaine dealer on the Eastern seaboard. Diane being a contract killer for the CIA felt that you definitely had to have cold blood and a bulletproof soul to do this job.

She positioned herself outside of his penthouse in her car just south of the parking lot where Jonathan parked his car. He was coming out of the building as he caught a glimpse of Diane’s car and then hurried to his to catch up with her. He opened the door, got in and stuck the key in the ignition and turned the key. The car exploded into a thousand pieces as she thought with a chuckle…

“Now that’s what I call the Mercedes Blues… Didn’t I blow your mind this time?”

She hit her cell and said,

“This is Cortez the Killer; the uptown rendezvous has been sanctioned. Inform Mr. Chow about the clean up.”

Being in the business for 18 years, you get use to takin it to the streets. But she knew she was dancing with the devil and her bulletproof soul wouldn’t last much longer. She was in for a slow ride home and had to catch the 9:35 train where she could get back to sweet home Chicago. She sat back in her seat and as the scenery streamed by the window she saw a figure in the reflection. She turned and recognized the man as the sax player from the band back at the bistro.

“You play a mean sax Diane said.”

“Thanks; I’ll take that as a compliment Michael said with a smile.” “May I join you he asked?”

“Sure Diane said.”

They talked for a while about anything and everything and she felt very relaxed with his warm smile and personal touch. She leaned back into her seat and said well Michael,

“If I could change the world, I’d…”

She heard a pop and slumped back into her seat. She knew she was shot in the head and all she could think of was the sinners’ prayer…. Shame on the devil if he doesn’t catch me before tomorrow’s sunrise.
© Copyright 2006 goldenquil (goldenquil at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1180731-Against-The-Grain