*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166893-The-mind
Rated: · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1166893
A scary story for halloween
I shivered in the cold, biting wind. It seemed I'd come too late for a pumpkin this year.
The normally orange bodies were covered in purple spots and they were shrivled like prunes. I groaned, I'd have to keep looking, if I didnt find a pumpkin then my kids would never forgive me.
I'd lost track of time wandering over the hills when I realised it was almost pitch black. I looked at my watch. It was almost midnight. I almost yelped out with shock, I'd really been in the pumpkin feilds that long?
I decided I'd better go home, midnight was too late for me. I looked at my watch again, and really yelped this time, it was 9:00. I began to quake, I didnt know why, it was as if my whole body was an earthquake. I tried to keep calm. "It ok." I said outloud, "Its your imagination" I looked back at my watch, midnight again. I felt like crying, "My watch must have broken" I said to the silence. Even though i knew it hadn't.
Suddenly I heard a ticking sound, and laughed. It was just my watch playing about, I began to start back down the hill, when a chilling thought bought me to a standstill. My watch was digital, it didnt tick.
I went onto my knees. The ticking sound was getting nearer, and nearer. I wanted to scream, but I found myself wispering out into the night.
And then I saw it.
The shadow, tramping towards me, each footfall in time with the ticking. It was like a man, only horribly deformed. It got closer, and closer. I got up to run, to get away from this monster.
And then the pumpkins came alive.
The vines began to whip up churning in the air, I could hear them laughing at me. I screamed, I couldnt stop screaming. The shadow closed in on me. My world went black.
Thats how I got here, Thats how I became this shivering wreck, sitting in the middle of a pumpkin field. I am rocking back and forth, my watch repeatedly flicking back and forth, from 9 to midnight. The ticking noise and the shadow are gone. But the vines of the pumpkins have formed a cage around me, Keeping me in. I wish I was with my children, and my wife. They'll be wondering where I am, deoending on the time. I dont even have the right time to comfort me anymore. If only I could break free.
Then I freeze, I realise I dont want to break to break free. The ticking noise is back. At least I am in the cage, at least im safe from the shadow. I can see it, flitting around the outside. I dont think the pumpkins are going to let him in. I realise I've been holding my breath, and let it all out. Maybe there is hope, maybe I can escape.
And then the shadow passes through the cage.
© Copyright 2006 A.M. Hinton (tumnuslover at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166893-The-mind