*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1165601-To-Walk-Again
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1165601
Story of a man who becomes paralyzed in an accident and his battle to walk again.




To Walk Again


Crash!! The sound of crumpling metal and shattering glass erupted in his ears. Then the pain….
“No, no, not again.” Brian struggled awake and glanced around the room. Yes, it was the dream again. When would it stop?
Brian knew the outcome of the dream already. He was living with it daily. Confined to his wheelchair, pain was a daily companion.
The doctors said the paralysis was likely to be permanent as it had been nine months. Brian refused to listen. He couldn’t, it was his life they were dismissing so casually.

Seeing the time, Brian decided to get up. He wouldn’t be getting back to sleep. He never did after the dream.
Brian pushed the intercom button to wake his brother sleeping down the hall. Tom had shown his love by moving in after Brian was released from the hospital. Tom drove him into treatment three days a week, plus the other appointments he now endured because of the accident.
Brian remembered the day as if it had happened yesterday. He was on his way home from work. The traffic was heavy for a weeknight. Then, from the opposite side of the median, he saw the car hurling toward him. It hit him full force in the front. After pulling a double shift, the other driver had fallen asleep at the wheel. He walked away with hardly a scratch. And Brian, he couldn’t walk.
“But one day…” Brian muttered to himself.
Nothing can be gained dwelling on the past. Today is a new day. One day, I will prove everyone wrong. I will walk again.
Tom walked in. “Good morning. You are up early. Was it the dream?”
“Yes. The dream is never going to stop. What do we have planned today?”
“Dad wants you to meet you for lunch. Fortunately, it’s after therapy. Then you have the teenager that Kelly wants you to talk to.”
“I imagine dad will be doing his regular inspirational talk of giving up therapy. If I listened to him, I wouldn’t be able to do anything, but lie down and die. Just because I am in this chair doesn’t mean my life is over.”
“Things are a lot different from when he was young, Brian. You have to understand that.” Tom’s quiet voice strived to give comfort.

“I am his son. He should support whatever decision I make. I make the decision to continue therapy. I will walk again.” Brian hit his hand in determination on the dining room table. “Let’s go. I want to do some extra exercises today before Kelly works with me.”

Three hours later, Brian sat across the table from his father. Tom sat beside him. Both of their expressions showed their disgust with their father. Since the accident, their father lectured Brian about giving up therapy every week. Today was no exception.
“Dad, why can’t you believe in me? Most fathers would support their children in instances like these. Why do you constantly rag on me?”
“I hate to see you put such work in a senseless activity.” Carl leaned forward to try to convince his son of his error.
“I am going to walk again; therefore, therapy is not a senseless activity. I am not going to allow you to discourage me.”
“The doctors say the paralysis is permanent. Are you more knowledgeable than the doctors?”
“Give up, dad. Now, tell me about the new computer program I finished. Did the test run work okay?”
Carl retreated from the topic. “Yes, the test run ran great. At least the accident didn’t take your mind from you. When will you return to the office? The techs need you there.”
“They don’t need me. I can write the programs from home as well as the office. I will return to the office when I walk again.” Brian felt frustrated when dealing with his father. “Tom, I am ready to go home. Dad, I will see you next week.” With that, Brian pulled away from the table and rolled off.
“You could at least give a little support, Dad. Brian needs you.” Tom’s tone of voice showed disgusted as he turned to follow Brian.
“He needs to accept the sit…” Carl’s voice trailed off as his sons walked off.
A few minutes later, Brian voice was reflective as he commented. “Just for once, I would like Dad to believe in me. It seems to me that he has never backed me on anything. I was never good enough. Now, when I need him most, he is not there. I will not give up. If it takes years, I am going to walk again.”
“Let’s go to the hospital. There is a young boy there who could use your optimism.”

“It is always nice to be able to help someone, Tom. Today was good. Do you think I said something to get through to that boy? He seemed so bitter over his accident. That will hinder his recovery.”
Tim wheeled Brian into the entrance way of the house.
“Yes, you got through. The prognosis is good for him. If he tries, he can get out of that wheelchair. He may need braces for a while, but he can succeed. What do you want for supper?”
“Surprise me. My appetite has returned after that disaster of a lunch. I will be in the office for a while.”
“I’ll call you when it is ready.”


A week later, Brian was at therapy. The therapist put braces on today. It was a special brace to keep his foot from dragging. Brian was excited to be trying a different exercise. This change boosted his optimism. He walked along the bars with the harness on keeping him up. It was exhausting work but worth it.
After the work out, Kelly took the harness off and started stretching out the muscles. “You did a great job, Brian. I wish all my clients worked as hard as you do. Your muscles are getting stronger.
“Did you feel that? Your leg jerked, Brian. That is great!”
“I felt it. I knew it. I will walk again.”
And he did.








© Copyright 2006 countrywriter7 (countrymom7 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1165601-To-Walk-Again