*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1092494-The-Camp-Road-Motel
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1092494
"A man drives to a motel with murderous intent." *Newbie*
As I pulled the car to a stop and turned off the engine I looked up at the flickering neon sign which stood above the reception area. “Camp Road Mote_” it dimly pointed out, with the unlit ‘L’ at the end only enhancing the seediness of the place. As I looked around at the “mostly” numbered doors I imagined what was going on behind them. Apart from people just trying to get a good nights rest, I was also flooded with images of sex, drugs and alcohol. Thinking about it I shuddered. I already knew for sure what was happening behind one particular door.

In room 17, I was expecting to find my wife in bed with another man.

My blood boiled. I willed my icy cold fingers to let go of the steering wheel which I had been gripping tightly and yanked on the hand break. It had only been hours ago since I had found out. The P.I. which I had hired called me and said that they would be meeting here and was even able to tell me which room they would be in.
Doing a quick search through my coat I pulled out my wallet and counted through the large amount of cash which I had in it. My plan was to bribe the receptionist for keys to access the room which they were in doing only Christ knows what. Plotting on how she should get rid me? Making lo…..no…..I must stay focused.

Satisfied with the amount of cash tucked in there I glanced at the photo stuck inside which displayed a picture of me holding my wife and the both of us smiling.
It was a photo of our wedding day. Back then all it took for her to reel me in was her long blonde hair and piercing green eyes. In the photo she positively seemed to shine, making everything around her, including myself, look dull and lifeless. Not being able to stand at it any longer I pulled the photo out, scrunched it up and threw it at the closed passenger side window and, while holding down my anger, I urged myself again to stay focused.

Stuffing the wallet back into my coat pocket I reached underneath my seat and pulled out a fully loaded 44 caliber magnum revolver. I looked over it and remembered that the main reason as to why I had bought it in the first place was to protect myself. Now it would be used for something completely different. Shoving the gun down the back of my pants I opened the car door and was greeted by the cold chill of the night air, lighting my breathe up like a Christmas tree. Closing the door behind me, I hastily walked over to the front desk within the reception area. Walking in I looked around and noticed that no one was in sight. At least now I wouldn’t need to use any money. Calmly walking around to the back of the counter I looked at the key hanger on the wall for the key to access my wife’s room. Seeing it, I snatched it off just as I heard something fall to the ground behind me. My heart skipped a beat. Quickly turning around I looked to see what had fallen only to find a cat sniffing a guest book on the ground. Composing myself once more I shoved the key into my outside coat pocket and walked out the door, heading towards my destination.

As I walked and counted the numbers on the room doors memories of the times that I had spent with my wife came back to me. The wedding, the honeymoon and even our first time seeing each other at none other but a library. At the time I had thought she worked at the place and asked her where I could find the fantasy section. She stared at me in shock…..those eyes…..I could hardly breath as she looked at me with them. Then she started laughing. It was like music to me. Not long after I was laughing as well, even if I didn’t know what we were laughing about.

I wrenched my mind back into to reality and found that I was shaking. But this wasn’t from the cold; rather it was from something else. I started to have doubts.

Was I ready to do this?

Finally I reached room 17. Pulling the gun from my coat once more I crouched beside the window of the room and looked inside. Lying in the bed I could make out a blonde headed woman only half covered by the sheets facing away from the window. I could also make out the arm of another draped across her.
‘Till death do us part’… Those words had run through my head over and over on my way here. I looked down at the gun in my hand only to see I was still trembling.

Was I really ready to go through with it?
Memories assaulted my head once more. I was determined that before the marriage, I would have her sign a prenuptial agreement stating that whatever she and I owned individually would remain unchanged should the unthinkable happen.
I thought she would accept. Instead she hit me with an ultimatum that if I wanted to marry her, it would have to be without the prenuptial. Now she was screwing some other guy.
I was so drawn in by her. Even now after seeing what I had seen I still had a hard time believing that was the kind of person she was.
No……this couldn’t be the woman I married. This was just some bitch that was out to ruin my life.
But despite what I thought, I still could not stop shaking. I was about murder two people in cold blood while they peacefully slept.

I was a madman.

I forced my hand to take out the room key from my coat pocket and proceeded to unlock the door.
Taking a deep breath I quietly opened it and slowly entered the room. It was surprisingly as cold as the outside. I could still see the air being forced out from my mouth right in front of me. I slowly walked over to the bed, the floorboards slightly creaking under my weight with every step. I could hear every heartbeat pounding in my head as I moved over to my wife’s side of the bed. They were both as still as statues. I couldn’t even make out their breathing. Edging closer I raised the gun and pointed it at my wife’s head. My shaking increased, so much that I was afraid I would actually miss first shot.

Maybe I wanted to miss? I couldn’t tell anymore.

I watched as my thumb pulled back on the hammer, turning the chamber around and clicking into place. My vision became blurry and I realised that tears were streaming down my face but still I did not make a sound. I reached over to her shoulder with my other hand.

Why was I doing this? It was just going to make it harder for me. Did I want to say goodbye? Or did I just want her to know what was coming.

Grabbing her shoulder I turned her over and my eyes locked onto hers. That was when I looked down and saw the huge laceration across her throat, and her blood soaked into the bed.

I wanted to scream. I wanted to throw up. I even wanted to run. But all I could do was stare at my beautiful wife staring lifelessly back at me.
© Copyright 2006 Ace of Spades (goatsy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1092494-The-Camp-Road-Motel